Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chernobog3 t1_ito5q3t wrote

Definitely. Hagar the Horrible, Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, and strangely enough, Andy Capp grew on me. And back in the Sunday editions of the 80s, Marvin.

In concept, I liked the Blondie comic too, but her husband Dagwood was insufferable and comic was pretty Steve Urkele'd in his favor.

johnmflores OP t1_ito6lo8 wrote

Andy Capp was a raging alcoholic. And Dagwood Bumstead ate those huge sandwiches and never gained weight. Must have had a tape worm.

Chernobog3 t1_itoe6vw wrote

You're not wrong. I have no idea why I liked Andy Capp. He was an aggressive alcoholic loser, but there was something distinctive about his life. He wasn't this goody two shoes comic character like a lot of the others in the papers. He was basically a lowbrow drunk around town with no future. Very hard contrast to Hi and Lois or Family Circle. Hot Fries are amazing though.

Dagwood's giant sandwich obsession aside, he's incredibly whiny, lazy, and prone to temper tantrums for a man with such a comfortable life and a decent family. I never felt bad when Mr Dithers used to boot him in the ass.

xiixiilxxv t1_its5stz wrote

> Dagwood Bumstead

Omg, Blondie!! I forgot all about that one. Memories unlocked.

SophsterSophistry t1_ito99t4 wrote

I know what snooker is because of Andy Capp. Those hot fries snacks weren't too bad either.

Chernobog3 t1_itocemh wrote

To this day I have a serious weakness for Andy Capp Hot Fries. They're so good.

SophsterSophistry t1_itohb7f wrote

I'm always surprised when I see them for sale. They're not a common snack item. I see Funnyuns more often then I see the hot fries.