Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

6Emptybottles t1_itpmt9c wrote

I used to deliver the SL and the Elizabeth Daily Journal in the late 60's with my siblings before school. I loved the really local coverage of the DJ. If your name was in a column for anything it got clipped and put on the fridge. One thing I remember is everyone paid cash in the little green envelopes we would leave on Saturday for payment on Sunday. Local legend had it that the gentleman who sold the early version of the Sunday Ledger on Saturday night under the Elmora St train underpass in Elizabeth was a millionaire from selling the paper!!!

SophsterSophistry t1_itql83m wrote

There was so much local coverage! We had the SL the DJ and then there were local city/town papers too.

I remember my grandmother's big thing to do in the 70s/80s was to sit at the kitchen table (when she finally took a break from cooking and cleaning for all her children and husband) and read the obituaries. And she'd make lots of comments and read some of them out loud (the people she knew). Keeping up on who died was a big thing for her. And searching the honor roll for my name :-) RIP Grandma.