Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ezl t1_iuhpflr wrote

What’s the “one bad thing?”

ShadowSwipe t1_iuij93d wrote

It's just a general statement as what typically drives these types of rules. One rare terrible thing happens and everyone goes on a crusade to change everything to attempt to make sure nothing terrible ever happens again. Don't get me wrong, there are of course many things that are in fact worth fixing but some people don't understand that not every bad incident ought to require some sweeping solution in a senseless pursuit to make sure everyone is 100% perfectly safe, or tidy, or happy, etc. Sometimes, bad things happen, and we have to accept that and move on.

I don't know what specifically drove the 7PM curfew in this case, but based on the ridiculous nature of the rule, I can only assume the justification is equally bad.

Ezl t1_iuizrsh wrote

Oh gotcha. I totally get what you mean but I asked because in other instances (I suspect this one included) the “one bad thing” never even happens, it’s just some weird, unjustified fear. Like, we all know about the “razor blade in an apple” fear but that literally never happened anywhere. But parents have checked their kids candy for decades. This year there was the rumor that drug dealers were (for some reason) disguising fentanyl as candy and giving it to kids which, of course, makes no sense.

So I totally get what you were saying and agree that it happens but I’d bet this 7pm curfew is more the result of baseless fear than any specific event.