Submitted by iYogi21 t3_ydmwc7 in newjersey

Hi all, my company may be relocating me to NJ with an office near Berkeley Heights. I know that I don’t want to live in Berkeley Heights but I have heard that the best places are in North Jersey, can anyone recommend some areas to live in for rent? LGBT friendly if possible but not a must. ( not into the gay bars and such, just looking for a nice place to live)

Thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Batumi19 t1_itv6waf wrote

Maplewood and South Orange are VERY LGBT friendly and both have very vibrant downtowns and super cool, creative people. Not as much of a party vibe but more of a close community vibe (especially Maplewood). But there are great bars and restaurants there too. The bonus is you can take the Gladstone train from both towns straight to Berkeley Heights if you don't feel like driving and can get a pickup on the other end.

kurt667 t1_itupx02 wrote

do you want to live in a big old house in a neighborhood with no kids... pick plainfield

or if you want the "brooklyn" sort of vibe, pick asbury park.... but that's sort of far to commute to berkley heights...

also. i think rahway is on the rebound and could be cool,,, close to berkley, rainbow flags around, artsy downtown, and a train station so you can be in NYC in 30 mins....

LateNightNewYork t1_itt6k29 wrote

The Forest Hill section of Newark, Asbury Park, and The Sleepy Hollow Section of Plainfield have a significant LGBTQ presence.

Jersey City is also good choice but is very expensive in prime areas.

Suburbs like Montclair and South Orange do too, but they have higher rents.

evilgemini50 t1_itt75lj wrote

First of all, welcome to the garden state! Second, Berkeley heights is in a very nice area, very expensive but very nice. The region is characterized by lots of small towns, with a suburban vibe. It's near Rutgers in New Brunswick, if you like a college town vibe. Not too far from the shore, if you like beach towns, check out red bank. (Not technically on the shore, but you get the idea.) All of NNJ is gay friendly, but if you're looking for bars, clubs, etc, you really need to be closer to a big city like jersey city or hoboken. Good luck.

RedSpartan3227 t1_itt8x4d wrote

Morristown (bigger) or Madison (smaller)

Extremely-Bad-Idea t1_ittau8d wrote

What is your definition of "affordable"? New Jersey is fairly expensive, especially in areas close to NYC and Philly. In a shock to many people, Jersey City rents are now the highest in the entire country at an average of $5,500 per month.

You should probably re-post this question with details about how much you are looking to spend, whether you want to buy or rent, and how big a place you need. You will get more meaningful answers that way.

ChartOne9040 t1_ittiqkr wrote

Asbury Park would be your Jam. Plainfield as well. Well established LGBTQ communities. Berkley Heights is a great place to live, just very upperclass white suburbish. If your looking for some tooth and night life, Jersey City, Weehawkin and Hoboken are your go toos.