Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

New_Stats t1_ix910dp wrote

Are there any areas near Raritan (30min drive is probably ideal, and I’ll only be in office 3 times a week) that have more of that urban feel

what the fucking Bison farm isn't urban enough for you? I guess all the horse farms "smell like shit" and "are just for the uber rich to show off their wealth" too, huh?

​

(I'm kidding that's exactly how things are here)

​

Almost everything closes by 9, almost nothing is open on Sundays here.

​

Somerville has more going on and is right down the road, but I wouldn't call it urban. It does have a train station that goes to NYC tho. It's been a while since I've taken the train from NYC to NJ, but last I checked, the last train on the NorthEast Corridor line leaves around midnight and the next train is at 5am. Also I've never taken the Raritan valley line to NYC, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't run on the weekends (double check that, I might be wrong)

Lambertville is close and has a decent nightlife (if you count New Hope, the town right across the river in PA, as part of the nightlife, which we do) but it still isn't urban. It's also farther away from the city than Somerville

look at NJ transit and then look at which towns the train to NYC stops. Then ask about ones that interest you, you'll get much better feedback. Include your budget or it'll be useless to try to help you

https://content.njtransit.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/maps/NJTRailSystemMap-Aug2022.pdf

guythatbedont t1_ix9me1h wrote

Raritan Valley line does require you to transfer in Newark Penn most of the time which usually is not a big deal. u/New_Stats is correct that the last trains back to Newark from NYC typically are around midnight or 1. You could potentially take the PATH train back to Hoboken/Jersey City for an Uber/taxi that doesn't have the NYC price tag on it if you're out of options.

Also funny enough I'm familiar with New Hope (Lambertville not so much) too, they are cool towns with great restaurants but it's not the kind of nightlife where you'll be out at a bar with loud music and a DJ until 2am, at least what I've seen. Not sure what your desired 'nightlife' situation is.

I don't live there but have visited frequently over the past few years.

New_Stats t1_ix9w8lx wrote

>Also funny enough I'm familiar with New Hope (Lambertville not so much) too, they are cool towns with great restaurants but it's not the kind of nightlife where you'll be out at a bar with loud music and a DJ until 2am, at least what I've seen. Not sure what your desired 'nightlife' situation is.

I've definitely been out bat hoping in New Hope until 2am, but this was years ago during the summer. I haven't been out that way since COVID so there's a strong possibility that could've changed.

guythatbedont t1_ixa0leg wrote

It's also very possible I'm just unaware of those spots, the intent of my visits was never to go out drinking. I'll have to go and see for myself next time I'm there!

New_Stats t1_ixa357t wrote

I highly recommend going when it's warm out. There's a ton of outdoor bar patios within walking distance of each other, it's really nice on a warm, but not hot, night.

tsukinoxhana OP t1_ix9748k wrote

Thank you!! Will definitely take a look the NJ transit