Submitted by sophiapehawkins t3_z1xu5q in newjersey

Hi all! Going on about 9 months as a state employee. I’m planning on moving on. I don’t want to miss out on my vacation days that I get at the beginning of the year. Does anyone know how long you have to be around in order to get paid out for those vacation days? I don’t want to be here past January. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheRacoonist t1_ixdd1ss wrote

Sounds like a question for your hr manager

sophiapehawkins OP t1_ixde0b8 wrote

It probably is. I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that’s gone through this process before I contact HR/turn in my resignation letter.

TheRacoonist t1_ixdeyoo wrote

Ask about the vacation policy before making your decision known so you can plan appropriately

llamadrama2021 t1_ixdrfn0 wrote

There are no payouts for vacation days, or admin days, just sick days, and only after you've vested - 10 years

Bassguy59 t1_ixdmwru wrote

I’m a 10 year state employee and my understanding is if you don’t use your vacation days you lose them. It could vary by state agency but that’s the policy where I am - academia

nomorobbo t1_ixe4yvz wrote

Things may be different from when I onboarded 6+ years ago, but you should be paid out the balance of your earned time + whatever you've put into PERS since you're not vested.

I do not believe that applies for admin time, as admin time is use or lose, it does not require payout. Same applies for XP or any extra comp time earned in excess of earned time.

Your HR contact for your program would be able to tell your more during your exit process. You should schedule an exit interview soon.

TalonusDuprey t1_ixh8ijk wrote

Local government agencies tend to follow state guidelines and based on the time you've been present you wouldn't be eligible for a payout. If I recall correctly you need to be vested (10 years) before even being eligible for a buyout.