Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hfhifi t1_ixvme2a wrote

P.S. American Bagels originated from the Lower East Side by Jewish Polish immigrants. Not NJ. NY deli originated in the same place by German immigrants. Not New Jersey. The first pizzeria was in Boston going back to the 19th Century. Not New Jersey. The first pizzeria in NJ didn't open till 1912. American Chinese restaurants originated in California in the 1850s and came East a few decades later.

Please do your homework before making such statements.

However, I will agree that pizza and bagels are better in NJ than NYC. 2nd best pizza is New Haven.

ballinallday123 t1_iyb4yr3 wrote

And all of those things originated in Europe way prior. It’s not like New York created any of those things. It still doesn’t have anything to do with New York. People are always disrepecting NJ and acting like we are a direct copycat of NY/Philly, could not be more false. The real Jersey people don’t care about NY/Philly the way everybody makes it out to be. I like both but I am not associated with them. New Jersey has it all and it is not because of NY/Philly.

hfhifi t1_iyb9t6i wrote

Sorry. I have to disagree. The NYC bagel and pizza were different than they were in Europe. Legit American pizza (no pineapple ever) is not the same as it was in Naples. Legit American bagels are more doughy and crispier on the outside than the European version. And the practice of putting toppings on (salt, sesame, garlic) started in NYC. Cheesesteak absolutely started in Philly in the 1930s. It is uniquely American and has no European predecessors.

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about the origins of Jersey food. I’m happy that our state has improved on them. Fair Lawn Hot Bagels is often rated the best in the country. Anthony Bourdain rated Camden cheesesteak as better than Philly.

Disco fries are about the only food item that I can think of that was invented in NJ although some claim they are a version of poutine.

P.S. New Jersey would still be mostly farmland if not for those 2 cities.

ballinallday123 t1_iybghoa wrote

I completly disagree as well. If they created their own foods with their own origins then yes you fan say one has stole their culture. New York did not invent those foods, Europe did. It’s not like they created an American born food like Pecan pies or Corn dogs. No NJ would not still be farmland if it wasn’t those cities, that could not be farther from the truth. Jersey City became a city in 1618 seven years before New York City. Newark was in the 1600’s. as well. Those two cities are a large part of what makes Jersey go. You can also say how much NJ people has helped build up NYC/Philly as well with how much we have supported those cities for over 100 years. NJ is just getting started on getting revitalized and every part of this state will be.