Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dirty_cuban t1_j27df2o wrote

It’s not legal. Inspection in NJ is a joke. All they do is plug a computer in the OBD-II port to check the emissions system. If that passes the car can be falling apart and still pass.

Jaydog718 t1_j294ipr wrote

They look for catalytic converters on sport cars too. I had to show the guy last week here in Tom's River NJ when I saw him struggling and looking around under the hood. Mine was taking way longer than anyone else's n I asked him, looking for the cat? And he answered unwillingly, yeah. I had to show him.

aspoels t1_j298hzo wrote

Yeah not really.. I take mine to an independent shop for state inspection and all they cared about was the computer. Zero care for the fact that I have a 200 cell high flow cat

Jaydog718 t1_j29i7oa wrote

I went to the free state place. How much did independent charge you? My dad pays 26 bucks or something like that.

aspoels t1_j29igm7 wrote

It’s $50. I have them Mount and balance my tires and do most basic shop work… I accept the charge since I don’t want to spend thousands on stock exhaust parts that I didn’t get with the car, or go through any hassle about it

bligh8 t1_j29wpoq wrote

> If that passes the car can be falling apart and still pass.

That word passes is a funny word. My truck failed because their computer said "System not ready" The inspection guy said "drive it for a while and the truck will learn" a week later the light came on. Took the truck to a local shop where they fudged to system and it passed. Three months later the light went out and all is well. Guess my truck is stupid.