Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LalaOringe t1_j6flp7m wrote

If you’re 15-20? Yes. If you’re 21+? Mostly yes. You’ll find a few spots to hang, but will mostly go elsewhere.

If you’re 30+, married with kids? Still yes, but you are happy about it.

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6flz41 wrote

Yeah I’m 30 married with kids. Feels kind of boring but love the quiet. I guess when the kid gets older, we’ll venture out a bit in NJ. I know NJ cares about their trees and all, but would love some more things to do where it doesn’t feel so isolated.

brasslake t1_j6o58vk wrote

I'm starting an event business over the next year and will keep y'all in mind haha

notgonnatakethison t1_j6fvd1t wrote

If you’re coming from the city or JC or hobo.. wildly boring. If you’re coming from anywhere else, there’s plenty to do.

Independent-Blood-10 t1_j6g5jli wrote

Marlboro guy here, married with 2 kids. I love it here, I grew up in Union county and when I went back a few months ago everything seemed so congested. Love the space here, also tons of retail on route 9. I don't have to venture more than 5 miles in either direction to get what I need

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6g5yal wrote

Me neither! We love how much retail is in route 9. And we’re close to the bus stop! We were in NY today and it was so congested. Everything took forever to get to.

rshana t1_j6g5nqt wrote

I grew up in Manalapan. I wasn’t bored as a teen but I think I did miss out on having a “downtown” to walk to with my friends like my daughter does now in our north Jersey town.

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6g60lm wrote

Yes! That’s what I think I miss. The areas you can walk around and have local spots to hangout.

rshana t1_j6g8tl5 wrote

Yeah. Though to be fair, I didn’t even know I was missing out on something until I was an adult. (My husband grew up with a downtown and insisted it was the greatest thing ever). There was no place at all I could walk to from my house growing up.

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6g969t wrote

The good thing is that we’re not far from traveling there. It’s just that my daughter won’t get to experience that same feeling as when I was little in NY. I was always around the neighborhood, walking with friends, biking to the parks. I just don’t get that feeling you can do that here.

829357083 t1_j6gdwo1 wrote

Matawan has a downtown that's slowly getting better every year. We have a donut shop!

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6ge1f6 wrote

Awesome! We’ll have to check it out! We are currently in Old Bridge so not too far!

Oilo t1_j6kms36 wrote

If you’re going to Matawan, Keyport shouldn’t be too far. The Lawrenceville section of old bridge is on the water and has some parks/playgrounds with views on the water. Keansburg is also nice for walking around I think—it’s been a while. I forgot which one has a nice boardwalk with restaurants and shops further in—keyport maybe?? but it’s not very far at all from old bridge/Matawan. We used to go for little day trips and it was nice, even in the cooler weather. Lots of people bundled up and walking around, some guys fishing, nice cute little shops and restaurants and a fish fry take away spot.

Hopefully someone else can chime in or I’ll ask my husband which one was which. We used to drive over from old bridge and it was a 20-30 min drive. It’s right near Cheesequake park too, which I mentioned in another response.

Good luck!

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6ksyag wrote

Is it Asbury Park? I heard some good things about Keyport recently but I always thought the neighborhood may be bad?

[deleted] t1_j6fmrh2 wrote

[deleted]

Fox_Body_Barra t1_j6ft537 wrote

Matawan and Old Bridge have good pizza, better than many towns north of it for sure.

JruASAP t1_j6g1gfx wrote

Agreed- I used to work in Matawan and Salerno's in Hazlet has fantastic pizza.

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6fmyq1 wrote

That’s why I wanted to move here. Feel like we’re close to multiple worlds.

beachlis t1_j6iref8 wrote

Boring means different things for different people. What are you looking for?

biscovery t1_j6k5nyt wrote

Old bridge/Parlin have a lot of good food. The night life blows and you need to drive everywhere. NYC and philly are both close though and Aberdeen/Matawan have a train station. It’s also close to the beach during summer and has a lot of places to hike. Boring is subjective but there is a lot to do in the area when the weather is nice.

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6k5xtq wrote

I think the issue is the weather right now and we just recently moved. We love the beaches so we’ll be there often when the weather permits.

I didn’t know Aberdeen and Matawan have a train station but good to know! I can’t seem to find GREAT food in Old Bridge, maybe I should make a recommendations post and try and get some recommendations.

biscovery t1_j6k79oz wrote

Old bridge has a lot of good italian food. Perth amboy for latin food, good indian food in parlin(thou not as good as edison), good Portuguese in south river, good Japanese in Aberdeen. I work like 3 miles from North end of old bridge so i eat out a lot in that area. Old bridge is big.

Oilo t1_j6kl1t7 wrote

If you’re in old bridge with a 2 year old, have you tried the library yet? They have a great children’s section with toys and story times and such. Lots of parents take their kids there so you can chat them up. There’s also an ice skating rink right next to the library.

There’s a YMCA right next to Manino Park (? I think that’s the name?) that is on 516, right down the street from the Rita’s and Carvel. Manino Park/the park by YMCA has a nice playground and a couple baseball fields, I believe. There’s Cheesequake park for hikes which also has a little pond with a tiny beach. The park is really nice and depending on your location in old bridge, a 10-20 min drive. Cheesequake farms used to have hayrides with corn cannons and zombie paintball in the fall, but I think they closed last year.

In terms of nightlife, no, there’s not much going on. There are lots of decent restaurants (two Thai places if you like Thai) but I’m a boring adult with little kids so I don’t care for nightlife. There’s a Harvest(?) restaurant that does special dinners and cooking lessons I believe on 516 also.

Anyway, good luck! We used to live in OB and liked it a lot! We could walk to the Rita’s/Dunkin/grocery store/pizza on 516 and it was a 7 minute drive to Costco. Still miss it lol

Jimmytowne t1_j6fzu82 wrote

I mean, if you have friends… you could stay home and have fun. Or go to a bar or be anywhere and have fun.

Boring isn’t the town, it’s your situation

Phil_ODendron t1_j6g2cr8 wrote

If you're bored in CNJ, you'll be bored anywhere. You're close enough to NYC, Philly, and the beach. There's a ton of great restaurants all over the place and many nearby towns with a lot to offer.

deluxepepperoncini OP t1_j6g2k2v wrote

True! We need to venture out more but it’s tougher with a 2 year old. Can’t wait for the spring weather so we can go to the beaches.

matt151617 t1_j6g3iid wrote

Boring in what regard? Compared to a bigger city like Jersey City, yeah. Most of CNJ is middle class suburban 9-5 families, middle aged people. There's not really party areas like the equivalent of Bourbon St.

However there's plenty to do on the weekends- hiking, golfing, the shore, etc.

You_Go_Glen_Coco_ t1_j6ogisw wrote

Lived in Old Bridge for the past 8ish years in the Sayrewood South area. Definitely boring and safe. Good if you have young kids.

Dsxm41780 t1_j6geijz wrote

I grew up in Freehold and have family in Matawan & Marlboro. Yeah that area is rather boring. Okay for like living day to day life and Matawan has Alternate Ending Brewery, the bowling alley, and a couple of bars, but it’s pure suburbia there.

−1