Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BacktotheFutureTmw t1_j61kozm wrote

Yes, we do buy fresh produce - but only when it's on sale. There are sales each week and they are cyclical. We also buy frozen steamed veggies which still have nutrients in them. If you notice the cycle of sales, you can stock up on certain staples that do not go bad like pasta and canned goods. For example, ShopRite's can can sale is going on so now is the time to get canned beans, veggies, and soups especially since they do not go bad for a long time.

Linenoise77 t1_j61zci9 wrote

Yup, I load up on my soup for the year at the can-can sale. I'll usually have it for lunch once or twice a week. Full price its like 4 bucks a can, when it does go on sale outside of the can can, its still around 3 bucks.

Its about a buck during the can can sale.

Same thing for stuff like tomatoes, beans, etc. I'll buy a few cases of stuff, stack it in the basement, and get through the year with it.

Also handy to have around if you have a bad storm or whatever.

Also if you have the space, get a chest freezer. When stuff like french fries or whatever go on sale, we load up on them. They will last a long time if stored right.

SnooWords4839 t1_j62cs90 wrote

We also use the cancan for soup, I cook beef and chicken to add to the soup for more protein.

We also get tons of the can can stuff for food pantries. I can donate 2 to 3 times as much with those sales.

We got a small chest freezer beginning of Covid and keep it stocked on sale meats. Great investment.

outcome--independent t1_j61v9rl wrote

Thank you for this tip! (You mentioned canned veggies retaining nutrients - what about frozen fruits?)

CaterpillarJungleGym t1_j64r4ze wrote

Anything frozen will have the same or even more nutrients than fresh. That's because they're usually picked at peak ripeness.

BacktotheFutureTmw t1_j656zja wrote

I believe so, but you would have to read up a little on that. We don't really buy frozen fruits so not entirely sure.