Submitted by Beautiful_Drawing_37 t3_10gf5g1 in newjersey

I have had insurance for a couple of years through Get Covered NJ. I tried to check if I can get a better plan this year. In order to look at other plans you have to cancel your current plan in the system. I did that, and 15 min later I decided to keep the same plan.

Get Covered NJ has in their system that I canceled insurance at 2 pm on Dec 11th, I have confirmation of insurance from the same day at 2:16 pm. since I had a confirmation, I never thought I did not have insurance until I went to a pharmacy.

I've been trying to get them to reinstate my insurance retroactively to Jan 1st (i went to the doc and have a bill for more $ than my premium) and I also need to get my prescription and are not willing to pay $250+ for the prescription.

I've been getting runaround:

1. any idea how to resolve it?
  2. how to report GetCoveredNJ to someone for screwing it up
  3. Is there a way to escalate it to the Federal level

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

betcher73 t1_j52hbc6 wrote

When I’ve played around in the system, you just go back and select the same insurance again. Are you sure it’s canceled? It may be canceled and then reinstated. Either way, don’t freak out yet because you technically have until Jan 31 to make elections. If you really have issues or aren’t sure, call GetCovered.

Skeylargo13 t1_j52j4t3 wrote

I called GetCovered multiple times. In their system, it shows that I canceled at 2:01 pm but I have confirmation at 2:16 pm for the same day. I can get insurance starting Feb 1st but the problem is that I already went to the doctor and have a bill for $600 since my confirmation stated insurance starts Jan 1st.

betcher73 t1_j52vz8t wrote

Have you tried to speaking to a supervisor?

Also, if you had active insurance on the day of the appointment, I think they have to cover it.

Skeylargo13 t1_j59xr5m wrote

UPDATE: I filed a complaint with the State of New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance and received a call from GetCovered with apologies and reinstatement of my insurance.

your_mak_guy t1_j552w8u wrote

What's your income level? When I experienced this a 2 years ago, initially I was a few hundred over the Medicaid level and afterwards Medicaid raised their ceiling and I qualified for Medicaid. Although it was a PITA there was a 30 day gap in coverage and I had an unexpected medical expense during that period.

PulpFriction21 t1_j55hmdh wrote

Did you ever get your new policy? Like at any point was it confirmed by the insurance company that’s supposed to be covering you that you had coverage?

Seems like for a month all you had was that confirmation email from get covered but no policy/ new insurance card etc. and then you went to the doctor anyway?

Did you ever login to the platform you’re provider has to verify you’re enrolled/covered?

DRdidgelikefridge t1_j52w7ju wrote

Murphy looks so high in those commercials.

−4

Beautiful_Drawing_37 OP t1_j554bow wrote

I tweeted Murphy and filed a complaint with state board for insurance problems and emaild all my 3 legislators

Njhunting t1_j52r6p3 wrote

Good luck dude. I am sorry for your loss of insurance. If I did not have medicaid I would not have insurance. You might want to see if there are any ways to lower your income so you can get Medicaid. I feel so bad for people who pay hundreds a month for those shitty Obamacare subsidized plans I really think I'd rather save my money and be uninsured than suffer with an expensive Obamacare Bronze plan.

−7