Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hammnbubbly t1_j6fxk19 wrote

Loads of red tape, difficult to get any clarity, very time consuming, and often tedious, process.

−1

frizz1111 t1_j6fxrzm wrote

It's really not though. My wife and I are doing it. I'm about 8 years in. Loans have to be public and you either work for government or not for profit and make 120 qualifying payments and it's forgiven tax free. I personally know a coworker who finished the program.

hammnbubbly t1_j6fztw0 wrote

That’s awesome for you. Not being sarcastic. For me, it’s been a different story. I’m a public school teacher and I’m not having the same success.

frizz1111 t1_j6g2wra wrote

Well if your loans are public then you shouldn't have a problem. Public school teacher 100% qualifies. Seriously it can be a life saver. Look into it again.

Monkeybomber t1_j6ihsu7 wrote

My wife is 7 years in, and it hasn't been too bad, other than one issue when the servicing company changed. In doing so, they reset the number of payments she'd made to zero, which was not correct. We filed an appeal, waited three months only to be told that no, zero was correct, despite our mountains of evidence that we'd made payments.

Called our congressmans constituent services office. A week later, payments reset properly.