Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tehbored t1_j4wj78v wrote

It's a little ridiculous that you still need a masters of library sciences to be a librarian. Makes no sense now that everything is computerized.

puzzlebuzz t1_j4wlumc wrote

Everything is more complicated now that it's computerized. It used to be collecting books. Now it's maintaining diverse resources. And that's just a collections standpoint. There's so much more that libraries do and if you understood, you'd understand why there's a need for a Master's degree.

tehbored t1_j4wmrcj wrote

There is no way that it is more complex than, say, electrical engineering, which you can do with a bachelor's.

−1

puzzlebuzz t1_j4xgkwu wrote

Well everything is harder than engineering. That’s not fair. You can dislike it but librarians are educators.

tehbored t1_j4xlxi3 wrote

All educators should only require a bachelor's degree tbh, except for maybe special needs educators.

−1

puzzlebuzz t1_j4ztf8d wrote

What qualifications do you have to set these standards? Do you work for the board of education? I still don’t understand what you have against librarians. Overeducated or not, they are overworked and underpaid!

tehbored t1_j50240h wrote

I have nothing against librarians, that's why I think it should be easier to become one. What I have a problem with is rent-seeking and protectionism.

puzzlebuzz t1_j50f3qd wrote

I think the issue is most people don’t decide to become librarians until after college or even grad school. Adding a masters degree is easier.