Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jerseycityfrankie t1_j6xue97 wrote

Two things: shame on the Brazilian Navy for allowing the ships deterioration to run far past the point of being able to safely tow the hulk. That is profoundly unprofessional and completely avoidable. The other thing that bothers me is the news item title. You can’t be “at” the “high seas”, it’s not a place. You can only be “on” the High Seas, a state of being.

Counter-Fleche t1_j6yiexf wrote

Add "under" to the list of high seas locations since that's where it's about to be

DukeOfGeek t1_j6yttsb wrote

Here I am recycling tin cans and they just let a whole aircraft carrier go to waste.

Proud_Tie t1_j6yf619 wrote

At "high seas" - the point where the sea level is highest. antonym of "Low seas (or tide)" The point where sea level is lowest.

jerseycityfrankie t1_j6ylmbh wrote

I’ve never heard a maritime pro say anything other than high or low tide. “Seas” is interchange with “waves” as in “then we shipped a huge sea and it broke the Derrick”.

Proud_Tie t1_j6yoqru wrote

maybe the original reporter at Reuters isn't a native English speaker and hasn't heard the term before? only guess I got.

jwm3 t1_j70nft2 wrote

It was a French warship. A Brazilian/Turkish company was just going to decommission and recycle it. The Brazilian navy only got involved now that they have to scuttle it since no port will accept it for disassembly.

GatoNanashi t1_j71r45y wrote

Uh, no, it was purchased by Brazil in 2000 and spent 18 years in commission with the Brazilian Navy. It's definitely the Brazilian Navy's problem.