Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jeffyoulose t1_j9n25cs wrote

Can't happen in California. California faults are not the subduction kind and can't create earth quakes stronger than 7.5. Plus California has the strongest building codes. Everything is rock solid.

People died in Turkey because of shoddy construction

neo_sporin t1_j9n4wtf wrote

Can’t is always a funny word in this context.

thejoeface t1_j9n9imy wrote

But there are 7.9 quakes recorded. And source on the level limit? A quick google doesn’t seem to support this. Since I live in california, I’d love this to be true.

jeffyoulose t1_j9ogccx wrote

Not in recent memory I think all the 8.0s were from pre 1920s. And some older quake magnitudes were estimated.

−6

Ashmidai t1_j9n8jqv wrote

Tell that to everyone living and working in buildings constructed on reclaimed land.

Nozinger t1_j9pb4oq wrote

And northern japan isn't in a region where earthquakes should surpass a magnitude of 8.5 and yet they famously got hit by a 9.1 in 2011.
The word can't only works until nature shows us that it absolutely can if it comes to the absolute worst case.

But it is true there are probably a lot less deaths in southern california than there are in turkey but it is still going to be a catastrophic event. There will still be thousands of deaths.

jeffyoulose t1_j9rypge wrote

If the turkey quake happened in LA. The death toll would be in the hundreds and not 10s of thousands due to all those building collapses.

Just think of Loma prieta quake and the north ridge quake. Nothing in terms of mass deaths.

Kale t1_j9t445a wrote

It was kind of expected, but the Webb telescope has already found galaxies that should be too massive/dense to exist. It's likely that our current models need some tweaking.

UnluckyScorpion t1_j9nk76r wrote

And utter lack of koordination in rescue efforts, many died in the rubble waiting for help..

Mental_Medium3988 t1_j9ocu7b wrote

newer buildings are fine, and the newer the better. plenty of older buildings either cant be or arent retrofitted and those will be the problem. same up here in the pnw. i work in a warehouse and its gonna be fucked in a big one. people will likely die from ammonia exposure alone.

jeffyoulose t1_j9oeuyx wrote

True. Pacific north west does have subduction fault. Juan de fuca plate is full of them. So I definitely would worry about the PNW. But it also has less population than California with Seattle and Vancouver being the largest cities that are no where near the size of LA.

tak18 t1_j9rec4v wrote

There is a subduction zone in northern California (Cascadia).

jeffyoulose t1_j9ryibq wrote

Yes. That's Jefferson state. Too far to be considered San Francisco and more like Oregon.