Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kstinfo t1_j72zpca wrote

I'm thinking the crux of a solution to the myriad restrictions being imposed around the globe is freedom to leave. Afghanistan will cease to function if its women simply leave the country. The same with Iran. The same with Syria.

This not merely a 'shower' thought. It is also not reflective of any anti-Muslim animosity.

The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights is about basic human rights -- rights that all people have just because they are human. It was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 10, 1948.

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

It's lovely - but it has no teeth, no mechanisms to make it work. That should change.

Kimeako t1_j748foq wrote

Moving to and surviving in a new country that doesn't speak your language is very difficult. Even more for single women who are usually exploited by the places they immigrate to. Alot need family support

kstinfo t1_j749nyl wrote

Host families. We do it for students.

_ManMadeGod_ t1_j74u8cu wrote

I have to infer that the number of people trying to escape countries such as Afghanistan heavily outnumber host families.

kstinfo t1_j75gyyc wrote

In answer to your comment and the one below. History is replete with episodes of large numbers of persons leaving their native lands for better opportunities. In most cases communities in the new land helped their brethren get a start - Jews, Irish, Italians, Poles, etc.

This is from the NY state website:

There are approximately 7,500 Afghans now living in New York State, but that figure is expected to grow significantly as humanitarian evacuees, Special Immigrant Visa recipients and refugees arrive.

To the comment below - I don't expect women in, say Iran, have bank accounts. They're not allowed to work. In the instances cited above migrants arrived in the US with not much more than what was on their backs.

Aside: The Washington Post claims the Irish-American population is seven times greater than Ireland.

MaterialActive t1_j74tm54 wrote

The problem is that a negative right of a "freedom to leave", even if implemented, does nothing to solve the problem. In a repressive society, where are women going to get the money for a plane ticket out, or whatever other means they will use to leave? Moreover, such societies are likely to become more, not less, wiling to allow bank accounts to women if a negative freedom to leave was somehow enforced. After all, if financial freedom means leaving, then it becomes impossible for the state to survive it.

Unless we're also buying people the tickets out, I don't see how this helps. (If we are buying people the tickets out, I think it would help, although the creation and implementation of such a positive right would be fundamentally a new thing in an IR context.)

Jessica65Perth t1_j7635m0 wrote

Taliban will not care, they hate to see a womans face and love to see aman with a beard

Zozorrr t1_j76hjc4 wrote

A lot of MENA countries did not sign on to the Declaration