Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kstinfo t1_j77gwjn wrote

There are plenty of "arms" citizens are not allowed to buy.

Just who is going to start and fight your civil war?

−3

Unlawful_Opinion t1_j77jy6b wrote

>There are plenty of "arms" citizens are not allowed to buy.

and that itself is a violation of the 2nd amendment and our natural rights.

"Shall not be infringed" cannot be much clearer but there are still millions of people who think there is room for restriction

banning the sale of guns entirely is something that, for one, almost every state and local government in the country would refuse to enforce. Two, would cause riots around the country. And three, the federal government doesn't even have the power to do that. It was designed that way from the very beginning

kstinfo t1_j77p5k0 wrote

And you skip over the well regulated militia part.

Unlawful_Opinion t1_j77z4w3 wrote

because that is a separate clause, meant in this case to give an example of how the individual right protected in the amendment could be exercised.

Supreme Court Ruling:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

"The second amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected with service in a militia, for traditionally lawful purposes."

If you still aren't sure what the original intentions of this amendment were then here are a few quotes from founding fathers, particularly those who were supportive of a bill of rights at the time:

"To disarm the people ... is the most effectual way to enslave them."

-George Mason

“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined…. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.” – Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

“The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, January 9–February 5, 1788

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” – Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

“I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.” – George Mason, address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

kstinfo t1_j781usf wrote

You keep hearkening back to the 2nd Amendment and I don't at all agree that it states anyone and everyone can sell a gun. I have a kidney. I am prohibited by law from selling my kidney.

[deleted] t1_j77he0v wrote

[removed]

kstinfo t1_j77ik28 wrote

That's pretty unspecific. You mean the, for example, the Texas National Guard against the FBI or the US Army. I know who my dollar would be on.

And you? Are you going to sign up? Or are you going to fight the fight from behind your keyboard?

−2

Unlawful_Opinion t1_j77lxed wrote

>And you? Are you going to sign up? Or are you going to fight the fight from behind your keyboard

I mean, you are the one calling for the federal government to do the dirty work and lock down on peoples freedoms nationwide. Can't be less self aware than that

kstinfo t1_j77qmno wrote

" calling for the federal government to do the dirty work "

Yup. That's its job. In the Preamble, condensing the reason for everything that follows, the government's aim and intent is to "establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense".

[deleted] t1_j77napr wrote

[removed]

kstinfo t1_j77op8y wrote

My way is to protect individuals and children from senseless murder. I have no regrets.

[deleted] t1_j77q0z4 wrote

[removed]

kstinfo t1_j77rk52 wrote

You think any weapon you can buy will protect you from the government? You poor deluded soul. I'm not suggesting there are not ways to change or influence our government. Just that guns are not one of them.

[deleted] t1_j77t6dc wrote

[removed]

kstinfo t1_j77zz8l wrote

We don't live in James Madison's world any more. Hell, we don't live in the democracy Madison favored any more.

Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an ‘Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery’

Your enemy is not the puppets but the puppet masters.