Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Lostpathway t1_j9ri8ij wrote

I can't imagine a worse time to be a Russian astronaut.

In fact, you'd think Russia would have other priorities right now.

GrannysPartyMerkin t1_j9sb5xc wrote

There was that cosmonaut who was in space during the collapse of the Ussr. That seems pretty terrifying.

rtb001 t1_ja114me wrote

I think he had a working Soyuz module. So he could have dipped at any time.

New podcast about him just dropped, called the last soviet. I think I'm going to have a listen, because it really was a fascinating story.

macross1984 t1_j9rnhd2 wrote

Russian astronauts are really tough cookies. Actually, all astronauts have to be tough to survive in hostile environment for a long period of time.

As for Russian space hardware, I think more problems will occur simply because of funding issue created by war in Ukraine.

rtb001 t1_ja11s7h wrote

They'll most lushly be fine. There hasn't been a fatal accident on a Soyuz for over 50 years, since Soyuz 11 back in 1971. They are like 120 launches more without any catastrophic accidents. It is a primitive craft in many ways, but easily the most reliable spacecraft in human history.

PissedCaucasian t1_j9rjjp1 wrote

Those astronauts are daredevils. They’re totally cool as cucumbers in these situations. Cool.

PaleontologistClear4 t1_j9ysud6 wrote

It would be horribly funny if the replacement aircraft suffered catastrophic failures as well. Even more so if the cosmonauts were all, "Hey US, can we get a ride home? We don't trust our own spacecraft." 😅

_Los t1_ja2corp wrote

You didn't read the article did you? One of ours is stuck up there too.