Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ms_mel_kruger t1_ja6xbgu wrote

Dying to know who was originally on the shipping end and receiving end of this transaction/transport. Personally I don’t blame the train line so much as the people manufacturing and purchasing these products. What is this stuff?!?

−8

Ironfist365 t1_ja7ao4g wrote

These chemicals are used in a wide variety of products and manufacturing processes and that is why the shipments will continue.

ms_mel_kruger t1_ja8552d wrote

So. . . Just did a little reading, the same stuff that’s in our cosmetics is also used for brake fluid, antifreeze, film, solvents, paint and ink (ethylene glycol) And on the polyester we wear and sweat in is also used in antifreeze (ethylene glyco) Then there’s flammable isobutylene which is used to manufacture tires (and helps give rubber it’s rubberiness) which makes me wonder how much of this stuff is in our air and water as tires wear down and are replaced whenever travel And the ethylhexyl acrylate which is used in adhesives and construction materials and probably caused the Nicky mouse voice on that viral video And finally vinyl chloride which is used to make pvc plastic and is a well documented carcinogen I do wish we had better choices than these things

ms_mel_kruger t1_jabk9a8 wrote

If only it had been a train full of honey and honeycomb. Or dried beans. marshmallows? Edamame. Holiday cookies. Wine corks. Cotton balls. Chicken coop bedding.

It truly boggles my mind that our hardware store shelves are lined with Roundup when vinegar, cardboard, and boiling water are arguably both more effective, and a fraction the cost for killing weeds, and beneficial insects are both easier and less expensive than pesticides.

But, hey, capitalism! Hail money!