Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Safe_Cabinet7090 t1_j9y9sbg wrote

I don’t get why we can’t have both? Like mental health support and the right to bear arms?

Edit: lol the downvoting is why I can’t take some of y’all serious.

−9

IllllIIIllllIl t1_j9ya7n3 wrote

One doesn’t preclude the other, it’s more an argument against how wildly disproportionate access to either is prioritized, as well as the difference on how each is stigmatized vs normalized.

Safe_Cabinet7090 t1_j9yad5l wrote

Sure I could somewhat agree with that.

If we had an amendment that everyone had the right to free mental health, then I could see your point.

−13

IllllIIIllllIl t1_j9ybpyo wrote

Well, that’s the exact point that argument makes. Only one is a guaranteed constitutional right, it’s not a choice of one or the other but mental health needs to be treated as important as it is from an institutional and legislative perspective instead of doing the “mental health is important” argument carousel every time any article like this crops up. We’re not really getting anywhere with it as a country because legislators are too unwilling to take action.

Safe_Cabinet7090 t1_j9yc91a wrote

Yeah no I agree. It sucks that allot times when I vote for someone. They have my allignment of things I value for something’s but not all things. For example I definitely value 2A very high but it so hard to get a politician that is Pro 2A and for actively trying to get better access to mental health programs. Where if I go to the other side they can pretty often be active in the mental health action but are very anti 2A. Some 3rd party would be great but have no chance to win sadly.

−6

Odd-Employment2517 t1_j9zhv35 wrote

We don't have an amendment that gives everyone the right to a gun though. If it did felons or dishonorable discharge military wouldn't be barred from owning guns.

Safe_Cabinet7090 t1_j9zzpnc wrote

Okay dude you are just picking at straws. Of course there are exceptions and I would say those exceptions are a good thing. I don’t see what you are trying to get at.

−1