Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Hishui92 t1_j9b97de wrote

Fingers crossed that the attempted killer's family doesn't sue the good guy with a gun into bankruptcy.

This is America after all.

ForgotMyOldLoginInfo t1_j9bruax wrote

> attempted

"Police said one of the women died after the stabbing."

Hishui92 t1_j9c4zlk wrote

On the one hand... Fuck.

On the other hand, I hope that helps his defense. Or at least scares away the scummier lawyers from trying to exploit this guy.

doctorfugazi t1_j9bcynf wrote

So just out of curiosity, grounds could the family sue?

Hishui92 t1_j9bj1xx wrote

Wrongful death. Weird as it sounds, he may be protected from prosecution but not from lawsuits.

Certainly ain't right, but ain't uncommon.

aj_ramone t1_j9bmj43 wrote

There have been families blaming homeowners for killing their sons and brothers etc. Y'know, for the small misdemeanor of armed home invasion.

Valyrian_Kobolds t1_j9bi3wd wrote

I mean they could file a suit but it wouldn't go anywhere.

−2

Hishui92 t1_j9bj7a5 wrote

Even if it didn't, it opens him up to discovery. And if he can't afford a lawyer...

Well there are plenty of scummy lawyers that can make a nonexistent case go somewhere.

I_can_get_you_off t1_j9euxp8 wrote

Lawyers aren’t going to want to sue this guy unless he has insurance. Insurance will pay his Legal defense costs. That’s how this works. I find it unlikely he’ll be sued by the family of a murderer who he stopped from killing a second person

Valyrian_Kobolds t1_j9bjopz wrote

Very few people have the money to push a SLAPP lawsuit

−3

Hishui92 t1_j9bk3r5 wrote

Lawyer gets a cut of the settlement.

Perhaps you didn't understand, they will make a case out of a nonexistent one. And if the defendant can't afford a lawyer, they'll likely lose.

Edit Apparently they deleted their reply or just blocked me. But to address what the notification window says they said... Does my own father count as dealing with a lawyer?