Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hotassnuts t1_j9a9p86 wrote

Gun rights over peoples lives.

−18

No___ImRight t1_j9aajrf wrote

>Investigators say the victim was questioned by a group of men and women about his gang affiliation before a fight started.

Gun rights over gangland fighting, yes.

hotassnuts t1_j9aawqo wrote

#In the US, Guns are the number 1 killer of kids and adolescents, there are more guns than people.

−29

No___ImRight t1_j9abdch wrote

> In the US, Guns are the number 1 killer of kids and adolescents

No it's not.

1 is accidents

2 is birth defects

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm

abk111 t1_j9b184s wrote

Gun deaths for kids are usually accidents.

TheFuzziestDumpling t1_j9c1hqs wrote

1. Accidents are the #1 killer of kids

2. Gun deaths are accidents

3. Therefore gun deaths are the #1 killer of kids

There's no possible way you're being serious. No one is that stupid.

abk111 t1_j9cemm1 wrote

Ironically this is exactly what OP did but in reverse.

Someone said gun deaths are the number one killer of kids. OP said “no accidents are”. Then I showed OP the numbers that show that car accidents and gun deaths are about equal as the two sources of killers of kids.

So in case this is too hard for you to follow: some years gun accidents are the number one killers of kids, some years car accidents are.

Do you understand now? Guns are the #1 or 2 killers of kids.

−3

TheFuzziestDumpling t1_j9cr6nt wrote

>Someone said gun deaths are the number one killer of kids. OP said “no accidents are”. Then I showed OP the numbers that show that car accidents and gun deaths are about equal as the two sources of killers of kids.

Note the difference. No one started narrowing it to car accidents until you.

abk111 t1_j9cs5xs wrote

I only mentioned car accidents because they’re the other major killer.

Here’s what you’re missing:

• someone said “guns are the #1 killers are kids”

• the guy I replied to said “no accidents are”

• what I’m pointing out is that gun deaths are accidents too for the most parts for kids so saying “accidents are the top killer of kids” doesn’t say anything about gun deaths

• then I later linked the number that show that it’s about an even split between car accidents and gun. accidents (and yes there are other accidents but as the link shows they are much smaller contributors).

Is it really possible you don’t understand this very simple discussion or are you just being disingenuous?

−1

No___ImRight t1_j9b3p3k wrote

1%

That's the percent of gun deaths that are accidental

> and about 1% were preventable/accidental.

>Preventable or accidental gun-related deaths increased 3% in 2021. However, from 2012 to 2021, preventable gun-related deaths have changed little, from 548 to 549 deaths. Visit the data details tab to explore some of these trends in depth.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/home-and-community/safety-topics/guns/

abk111 t1_j9b4ty7 wrote

Your link is not about children so of course it’s dominated by homicides and suicides.

Since around 2017 accidental children deaths from guns have been comparable to car accidents: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2201761

The main difference is that cars are not made for killing, they’re made for transportation. Guns are made for killing. Thousands of children die every year so grown men don’t have to be scared of noises at night.

−1

hotassnuts t1_j9abm3f wrote

−20

No___ImRight t1_j9adrr2 wrote

Your data is through 2020, mine was through 2021.

You probably chose 2020 since it was the year we shutdown the country and less cars on the road mean less car accident deaths.

UniversalMomentum t1_j9alulq wrote

Sure, but you are also side stepping the part where the US has way more gun deaths than all it's peers. The fact we could have guns be the top killer in that demographic is still an impressively out of line stat for a developed nations.

It's more like what you'd expect in a third world country.

−8