Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cookingboy t1_jceoq15 wrote

> allowing TikTok was clearly a mistake so I doubt they will let something like that to happen ever again.

Should we just go ahead and ban all apps and websites from China, or in fact, non-U.S. allied countries?

What's next? Banning videogames like Genshin Impact and League of Legends because of national security concerns?

I bet companies like Activision and EA would love to lobby for it, much like how Meta lobbied for the ban of TikTok: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/30/facebook-tiktok-targeted-victory/

Secure_Ad1628 t1_jcf8rml wrote

Why not? I mean either that or buying the Chinese companies so China can't extract benefits from the Market and yeah there's market protectionism in play here too, it's obvious like most apps copied the format of TikTok, and once it's gone they will have the market to themselves but I genuinely believe there's national security concerns over this, TikTok just pushed to the mainstream the East Palestine derailment, that was a nothing burger, so I think it's a perfect example of how it can actually manufacture a certain narrative, whether it was intentional or not doesn't matter, the fact that the US government can't intervene on it to regulate discourse there is bad enough to warrant a ban.

−8

cookingboy t1_jcfb2iy wrote

> TikTok just pushed to the mainstream the East Palestine derailment, that was a nothing burger

Are we for real here???

Secure_Ad1628 t1_jcffmss wrote

Yeah, if it was something really bad the US government would have been busy covering it up, I hear derailments are usual so this one isn't special other than because people were panicking.

And TikTok definitely pushed the narrative of a disaster that would poison everyone on the area will the government clearly say that it wasn't that bad and didn't pose a threat for anyone's health.

−3

cookingboy t1_jcfgkxb wrote

> if it was something really bad the US government would have been busy covering it up

You think the US government could have covered up this?????

> I hear derailments are usual

When was the last time a derailment looked like this? Do you have an example?

https://i.imgur.com/BZGHPcC.jpg

> And TikTok definitely pushed the narrative of a disaster that would poison everyone on the area will the government clearly say that it wasn’t that bad and didn’t pose a threat for anyone’s health.

Again, are you for real here????

Gee, I guess without TikTok everyone who lived under that black mushroom cloud would have just took the government’s words for it, and obviously TikTok is faking all the symptoms people are suffering /s

Secure_Ad1628 t1_jcfksa0 wrote

It's probably worse than most derailments but it was being pushed as a disaster on par with Chernobyl, it was overblown, again whether or not it was intentional TikTok had a narrative about how disastrous it was, some people got sick but no one has even died form this, it was badly exaggerated

−6