Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gloriathewitch t1_jaqo3sg wrote

This is probably an average, they'd use most of that on acceleration I'd wager, but coasting in the sky takes very little thrust.

Also, fun fact from a mechanic: accelerating briskly to 60mph can increase your mpg as opposed to slowly ramping up your speed, as the burst consumes more however the sooner you coast the sooner you start conserving fuel.

Draft behind semis if you want even better mpg, your car not having to overcome the wind makes the car have to barely work.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_jaqp3ap wrote

>Draft behind semis if you want even better mpg, your car not having to overcome the wind makes the car have to barely work.

They also tend to drive more reliably towards saving fuel than zipping around, changing speed or lanes all the time, and doing other things that would waste more fuel.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_jasrbz7 wrote

Yeah, but semis always seem to destroy my windshield with rocks, and not being able to see over or around them makes me uncomfortable.

irrelevantmango t1_jaraqdo wrote

Don't get too close behind them, semi drivers can get cranky if they know you are there but they cannot see you in their mirrors.

Gloriathewitch t1_jaslmea wrote

You're good to draft a fair distance as the air is already disturbed.

Its what makes giant brick shaped trucks so great, they disturb the air so much that you can save gas.

_toodamnparanoid_ t1_jask17f wrote

I found that for turbine aircraft you want to get to altitude faster for the same reason. A max thrust climb will burn at a higher rate but you get to altitude so much faster and the burn rate four every thousand feet you climb drops significantly. That's not just to enter cruise but also the efficiency at altitude.

jawshoeaw t1_jasajd4 wrote

would clarify that while slowly ramping can be inefficient, flooring the accelerator, depending on the vehicle can also be inefficient .The principle being an engine under load is more efficient , but only up to a point again depending on design. but in this case, the motor was electric so no reason not to goose it :)