Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mtarascio t1_jcnyu8d wrote

He didn't convince anyone.

The current media climate made it the right thing to do for Ticketmaster in this time and space.

Without anything fundamentally changing it'll be back to status quo in a week.

Fuzzy-Butterscotch86 t1_jcoz4ut wrote

I look at it like this, while Blink 182 and Tayler Swift sat on their hands telling fans they were just as upset as they were with the pricing fiasco, ultimately they did nothing to fix it.

And while I agree the current media climate is why Ticuntmaster made this move, if Robert Smith could step up and get fans some kind of recompense Blink 182 and Tayler Swift could've absolutely used the same public outrage to call bullshit, put their foot down, and at the very least slightly improve things for their fans.

Smith absolutely deserves the pat on the back he's getting. Even if he doesn't change shit permanently.

moneyfish t1_jcp4w0u wrote

I was a massive blink 182 fan until I saw them charging $750 for pit tickets where I live. They don’t even pretend to give a fuck about their fans. Fuck em.

justinsimoni t1_jcpn0t3 wrote

I played a festival with Blink 182. Back area had a catered lunch. They refused to sit with everyone else. It was kinda crazy - there's Iggy Pop, there's all the guys from Rancid, but Blink 182 took some sort of second story all for themselves. More deviled eggs for me, I guess.

​

​

I spent the entire night in our tour bus to make sure our stuff wouldn't get stolen, as it rained through the night. We barely got out what with all the mud. I couldn't imagine it was all that fun for general admission to have camped.

justinsimoni t1_jcpnqmn wrote

I am also waiting for the, "Sure, Grandpa" comments I've absolutely set myself up for.

ThreeHolePunch t1_jctrle0 wrote

Sounds like Blink 182 recognized they weren't cool enough to share a space with Iggy and Rancid.

Superdickeater t1_jcpa4ff wrote

I don’t think the artists themselves have as much control over the price of the tickets at their show as one might think.

Record companies and music venues tend to take a majority of the profits from record and ticket sales. They might seem like they have a lot of money, but imo that’s due to the pennies they get from those millions of sales eventually adding up for them over the years. Typically musicians make a majority of any profit on merchandise.

To put into perspective- Travis Barker’s net worth is approximately $40m. Jimmy Page’s net worth is approximately $180m. Gene Simmons’ net worth is approximately $400m.

And as we all know, Gene Simmons merchandised the hell out of Kiss.

That’s not to say $40m isn’t a helluva lot of money, but there’s a lot we think an artist has control over that they really don’t. They might pitch an idea, but then that has to go through a plethora of other boards of directors, financial and PR advisors, and so on and so forth.

walter-wallcarpeting t1_jcofgne wrote

I think the aim here is exposure though. People in the US are being screwed and it needs more people like him to shine light on the system for it to be overhauled or regulated. Better than doing nothing at all.