Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gnomewife t1_jegjsuo wrote

I'm in town visiting my grandmother. I've never had to shelter for a tornado before, and it hit her neighborhood. Ripped her back porch apart and smashed my rental, but we made it out okay.

lpisme t1_jegrh8s wrote

Glad you and yours are safe. We're expecting the worst of it overnight here and I'm not looking forward to it.

sonofrageandlove_ t1_jegt37l wrote

Just curious, where are you that you've not had to shelter from a tornado?

gnomewife t1_jegvloa wrote

I lived in north LA for most of my life, and the city just never got hit while I was living there. I've been in Utah for the last several years and they're uncommon there.

dontshoot4301 t1_jegos1c wrote

I live right by where it hit, power is out, roofs off of homes and buildings, it was a direct hit right in the center of neighborhoods and suburban businesses. Thankfully my place just lost power and my cat who was home is safe!

Ibelieveinphysics t1_jegtp9r wrote

Glad your cat is safe. Give him extra loves. He's probably going to be a little spooked for a few days.

dontshoot4301 t1_jegwxbk wrote

Will do but he was actually pretty unfazed considering how much debris and limbs were by my place. He still begged for food the second I came in so his mind is clearly in other places lol.

Also, cat tax: https://imgur.com/a/0UaYZ8U

crow_crone t1_jeh1t3k wrote

Looks like kittie's making an editorial comment there. I don't blame him!

bheklilr t1_jegkd76 wrote

This was a pretty major tornado that touched down right as it got into a pretty heavily populated part of Little Rock then traveled across a good chunk of the city, and has resulted in a lot of injuries and property damage. The local hospitals and emergency services are getting slammed right now. At least an EF3 tornado.

DamagedHells t1_jegj4aq wrote

It's insane how close it hit to my parent's house. Basically right in the center of West Little Rock, smashed into major shopping areas at Rodney Parham/430 and Cantrel/430, then crossed the river and hit NLR/Sherwood. It was really bad.

thejikz t1_jegnp64 wrote

Yikes! Curiosity, from PNW so we don't have these- what is the timeline and procedure for rebuilding a house like in the picture? Aside from simply having shelter, keep working, school/childcare. I cannot fathom how life wrecking this must be.

SPUTZNiKZ t1_jegxg7l wrote

In a vacuum, probably just as long as any house. But with a disaster response, federal aid, insurance, and a lot of red tape probably coming into the area, there will probably be a large wait time. These houses will probably have structural damage and have possibly been removed from their foundation. If you remember the Joplin tornado in 2011 that destroyed 7,000 homes, it took around five years to rebuild ~85% of those houses, and there are still places in Joplin that are just foundational slabs. So, yeah, there are a lot of factors at play to give a good estimate on your question.

thejikz t1_jegy8ep wrote

100% agree on the first part. I am in construction and understand delays. I should have been clearer, I did absolutely mean in the face of the uphill and adverse circumstances, so thank you for the thorough general answer. It is incredibly sad to see it happen.

SPUTZNiKZ t1_jeh05wn wrote

Absolutely. And to be clear, it is a little anecdotal on my end -- I live in SW Missouri and that kind of timeline for storm recovery is just something that you grow a little used to. I remember there was a huge community response to Joplin really early in the beginning stages that I think also helped out by freeing up resources, along with quite a few non-profits building houses as well.

Goofygrrrl t1_jeh3kop wrote

I can speak from a hurricane perspective but rebuilding is challenging. First decisions have to be made about your kids and family. If to or three schools are destroyed you likely are going to need to get housing in a district that they can remain in, until schools are rebuilt. If you have family that needs dialysis or medical care, you may have to move to a temporary place until hospital services are rebuilt. You may not have mail service for a while which means you can’t just order something from Amazon. No cell service and no maps means just bringing in stuff is challenging. There no trash service, there may be no water service so even if you want to stay, often you can’t because child protective services or adult productive services can come after you. You really need access to an RV or #van life to stay at your place. Bugs in the south and heat become significant issues. Sanitation services become an issue because there’s no toilet and you can only pee in your backyard so many times before you realize “this is not good” There no local store and there’s likely little to no gas just to get around. It can all be a challenge and in some places it just doesn’t come back. It’s hard to rebuild a town with everyone has to abandon it.

[deleted] t1_jegwt7m wrote

[removed]

−47

ballofpoo t1_jegzrx9 wrote

What a shitty comment. Hundreds of lives just got completely changed for the worse.

Not to mention this tornado touched down in one of the only places in the state that voted against Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

The bill she passed was completely her own doing. The state did not vote on that issue.

You’re essentially laughing at people who voted against what your complaining about. Great job!