Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nuclearswan t1_jbo9rku wrote

This is incredibly stupid. How did she expect to get away with it?

Owain451 t1_jboo4e2 wrote

If you read the article, it said the security for the mall was shocked as well. It seems she would have gotten away with it if one of the other co-workers didn't notice a million-dollar transaction the 19-y/o failed to clear out.

It sounds like the company has a very poor transaction system that leaves opportunity to exploit it.

She got caught after taking a $25,000 trip to Hawaii, buying a Tesla, and a bunch of expensive accessories/clothes.

I'm sure eventually someone else would have said something at some point. All that money would raise flags somewhere down the line I feel, as the card company would notice a recent string of high-value spending.

That's what I assume would happen anyway. The thing is I could be wrong on that because the article doesn't mention anything like that.

So it's possible if she never forgot to clear the transaction the company might never have noticed.

ShimmyZmizz t1_jbpayur wrote

I once worked with someone who was caught processing returns to a prepaid debit card for transactions that other customers did. So if a customer spent $500 on a transaction, a week or so later my coworker would process a return as if that customer came in and asked for everything to be refunded to a prepaid card that was not used in the original transaction.

This person got caught partially because she was not just doing returns the way my coworker did, she was also increasing the prices of the items being returned, which is so incredibly blatantly fraudulent and traceable.

Owain451 t1_jbphtgl wrote

See, it seems like there are ways to mask your transactions but the greed pushes them too far.

I successfully "stole" a game console from when I worked at a popular adult arcade+restaurant/bar.

Normally only the regular gamers or no-lifers would ever win the systems.

But over the course of 7 or so months on Fridays, Saturdays and some Holidays I would:

a) collect the cards people left that only had a few tickets left. If they couldn't buy anything they would usually toss them, so I started asking if they wanted it back and would sneak then into a pocket of my Hoodia I kept under the desk.

b) Pad the ticket count at during times where the prize area wasn't super busy, but I knew management would be. Weekends and holidays were hell, but I knew no one would be monitoring the cameras at that time. So it was easy to sneak a quick free 200 tickets here or there but finding papers/other things to weigh or shred. We counted tickets by weight, and would add the approximate amount to the card. If the weight of the bag didn't match the virtual weight of the tickets that should be reflected, it would be an issue if it was off a lot.

On the busy days I knew I could get away with it.

c) Once I had about 50 discarded cards or so, I would have a friend come in so I could consolidate them. I had about 5 main cards that had the tickets stored. And once I calculated that I had enough, I had a friend go in and combine all 5 of the main cards and redeem the game console.

Never got caught. I don't know if anyone was ever suspicious.

In most companies there are exploits that can ve used if they are used properly. It's when you rush or get greedy/cocky that you ruin it.

Fuck_You_Alls t1_jbq7kq8 wrote

I worked at costco when I was younger. The person in charge of all the costco credit card signups was stealing peoples identity's for years. This was just one store. This instance caused every single costco to change how they do the signups. Nothing is paper anymore and its all digital.