Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sp3ctre_6 t1_iugiapj wrote

As per usual, ignorant, untrained people chime in and dismiss mental health.

Crom_3 t1_iuh7ghd wrote

Sadly, there comes a point where a person is a danger to others and I don't care about their mental health anymore. Too often someone is brought in on a 72 hr hold where you force them to take their meds and stabilize them, then turn them lose to stop taking their meds and become a danger to others. Or a child molester is kept in prison where he cannot molest kids, then released into society with the same desires that got him arrested in the first place.

Either lock them up where they can get treatment and supervision, and there are plenty of programs and mental health outreach for that, or put them down as humanely as possible.

Instead we keep releasing them in an attempt to be compassionate and give them a second chance and they reoffend, and that's not fair to the victims they hurt. I feel the same way about career violent criminals and vicious dogs who attack people. Sorry, but my sadness over your wasted life of violence, your fault or not, is outweighed by my concern for your victims.

Blenderx06 t1_iuhaeb5 wrote

No one is suggesting we let them go free.

Crom_3 t1_iujq33p wrote

Nice strawman argument. I'm not saying anyone is advocating for them to go free, but too often that's the end result and they reoffend and hurt a new victim. You cannot deny that.

−1

Blenderx06 t1_iujybgc wrote

You clearly don't know what that word means. And you sound like miserable person.