Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Daylightsavingstimes t1_itbkpc9 wrote

I know this article focused on community viral spread that's making it's way to hospitals, but there's been something going around at my area schools too. Could be the flu, but it would be unusually early for that.

In any case, I've taken to masking up whenever I feel off somehow - be it a sniffle, scratchy throat, or persistent sneezing. Don't wanna spread whatever I could have to others. A simple courtesy.

Edit: A correction.

rains-blu t1_itbqlkx wrote

October begins RSV and Influenza season in the northern hemisphere and it runs until April. Doctors recommend getting a flu vaccine in mid-September so antibodies can kick in by October.

Viruses can affect anyone of any age but the people of extreme ages have the most difficult time. Premies, infants and toddlers and the elderly but also people who might have health conditions where they can't fight off a respiratory illness very well have a harder time.

Flynn58 t1_itbyosi wrote

> Doctors recommend getting a flu vaccine in mid-September so antibodies can kick in by October.

LMAO Ontario doesn't make flu shots available until mid-November.

Billis- t1_itcfnxf wrote

They're available now I thought? Are at hospitals at least

Flynn58 t1_itcjfeo wrote

Only to seniors and high-risk patients, they aren’t available to Gen pop right now.

Billis- t1_itd46gq wrote

And hospital staff, but ya that makes sense. Good to know!

ObjectiveDark40 t1_itbnitm wrote

The article isn't about a spread at hospitals. But yeah pretty sure my kid got this a few weeks ago...and I got it shortly after she coughed in my mouth.

Daylightsavingstimes t1_itbo6hp wrote

I corrected it. Thanks for posting that out. Hope you and your kid have gotten better since then.

ObjectiveDark40 t1_itbrnly wrote

Yeah we figured it was some sort of flu also but it sure hung out for a while. We are pretty good at masking but pre-school doesn't do it so she probably got it there...filthy grubs. Stay safe!

Daylightsavingstimes t1_itbvva7 wrote

Preschoolers. Those rascals love getting their hands on everything, followed by in their mouth.

Thanks! Stay well too.

Grouchy_Occasion2292 t1_itcmz1p wrote

It's probably a combination of several such as COVID, flu, rsv, and noravirus. I know that I got COVID just recently and so did my kids. I know someone whose baby was just hospitalized for RSV. And a few who have been sick with the flu I doubt it's just one illness causing it. It's the combination of a lot of colds that happen during this time and it's getting worse because climate change. The warmer climate actually makes it easier for these kinds of things to spread.

moleratical t1_itcyiyx wrote

It's a little early for a lot of people to have the flu, but it is about the time we start seeing a few cases. I got the flu about this time a few years ago. Yesterday a good 1/3 if my students were sick with it.