Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

frodosdream t1_iudngk7 wrote

>Gujarat's Morbi Machchhu River Pull Collapse: In a big mishap, over 500 people have fell in a river in Gujarat's Morbi after an overbridge constructed over the Machchhu River collapsed. Local people and government officials have started their rescue operations. As per initial inputs, the bridge is a local picnic spot that sees huge crowds on weekends and other holidays.

From another source, which goes on to say that this overbridge was "constructed in extreme haste" and "without proper checks" as part of an election promise six months ago. Probably not the safest place for a thousand people to have picnics on. Terrifying and tragic for all the families that fell into the river.

https://zeenews.india.com/live-updates/live-updates-big-overbridge-collapses-in-gujarats-morbi-over-500-people-fall-in-machchhu-river-2528667

Outlulz t1_iuecqey wrote

I was just arguing with someone complaining how major infrastructure projects in America take too long and we should be more like China and India who have bridges up in days. Who in their right mind would trade speed for the sake of speed over safety?

BrownMan65 t1_iueu299 wrote

The bridge was renovated recently, not built recently. The bridge has been around for 143 years.

Outlulz t1_iueudsv wrote

Renovation or built, the recent project was a rush job without safety in mind.

Umeshpunk t1_iuf215k wrote

No level of renovation would have made this bridge hold 500 people when it's capacity is only 100.

Important-Owl1661 t1_iufemes wrote

This wasn't the first holiday it was used, and yet, the British-built version lasted 143 years 🤷🏻‍♂️

TransposingJons t1_iuerh3x wrote

Those kind of people have bought the Republikkkan propaganda that "REgUlatIonS R bAd". They either are, or would be, the get-rich-quick sleeze-balls who want money, but don't care what happens after "I've got mine!".

asdaaaaaaaa t1_iudxcg7 wrote

Six months? I mean, had you said six years I'd at least understand, poor construction plus overweight vehicles and rust can do damage fast. Six months means these poor people didn't have a chance. Does India/that province even do bi-yearly checks? Guess this is why some stuff gets checked very soon after construction, as an addition to during.

Edit: Video of the aftermath in the /r/CatastrophicFailure subreddit for those who are interested.

EscapeVelocity01 t1_iudxp2x wrote

There's this video circulating of people trying to create a "wave" by grabbing on a shaking the ropes

SnakeDoctur t1_iudzsy2 wrote

Very dangerous if they happen to hit the resonating frequency of the structure

Stormtech5 t1_iue0v0m wrote

I had a teacher who used to work testing resonating frequencies on satellites going up on rockets. Didn't want a launch wasted because it busted sensitive communication equipment.

SnakeDoctur t1_iufhjor wrote

There's been a number of military reports throughout history of a battalion of soldiers marching across a bridge and causing it to buckle like leather. Myth busters did a great episode on it as well albeit on a much smaller scale

doofleton t1_iug7jxu wrote

Again, this was debunked, that was a video from 2018. If you're suggesting this 2018 "wave" collapsed the bridge in 2022 when it was supposedly repaired a few months ago, then I also have a large white building in Agra that you might want to buy.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_iudya3w wrote

Huh, will be interested to hear new information as/if it comes out. I just want to know to what extreme the bridge was pushed to cause the failure, or which extremes I guess. Rarely is it usually one singular issue but a series of failures on stuff. Overloading a bridge with people (can you do that? Vehicles are heavy, but are people more dense when shoved together?) then having them undulate the bridge would cause some serious stresses I'd imagine. Pair that with quick/shoddy construction, I could easily see that happening.

EET_Learner t1_iuhjjsy wrote

I've read before that India has a rampant problem with unaccredited engineering schools. This could be a possible explanation to why these things keep happening.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_iuhjttj wrote

Huh, I never knew that. Yeah, that could certainly be a problem. If that's the case, I'd imagine corruption and issues like that extend to quite a few organizations/industries then. It's scary when you remember events like Bhopal, and how they can (and do, sadly) still happen today.

The_Yarichin_Bitch t1_iue3zix wrote

I mean, ik on r/amusementdark you can gaurentee their fair/circus rides are gonna have a mass catastrophe, so I wonder if they happen to have little to no safety regulation... And on that case, they're more like China than they thought 😮‍💨

−2