Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Balrok99 t1_isnzdv3 wrote

In my opinion it would be better for the sake of the entire world if Taiwan was "officially" part of China. ( I know everyone has opinion that and t his is my own )

I know they hold Sun Yat Sen in high regard not denying that. Just saying that the Republic of China was not the best successor to Qing dynasty. Which is why Civil War and many rebellions happened. Also he was president of the ROC just for a very short time and also leader of KMT for very short time.

Makes you wonder how would the events played out if he stayed in power a bit more.

But we should not try to change the history for it might be be much worse than what we have now.

−27

Locke_and_Lloyd t1_isou1n8 wrote

Only until China decides that they also have a right to control Mongolia, Bhutan, Nepal or any other country they want. They will never stop trying to conquer. It's no different than letting Hitler take a few countries in the late 1930s.

M3SS3NG3R t1_iso5e6o wrote

Sure ROC wasn't perfect. But with 20/20 hindsight it is still miles better in comparison to the China of today. Just look at what they were eventually able to accomplish. IMO it would be better if China is officially no part of ROC. Then both can at least try to have a healthy relationship (even no relationship is healthier than what we have) and China can finally focus on self improvement instead of blaming their shortcomings on everyone else.

−5

SomethingElse521 t1_ispgtgn wrote

> But with 20/20 hindsight it is still miles better in comparison to the China of today

It was literally a feudal dictatorship what the fuck are you talking about lmao

M3SS3NG3R t1_isph5rb wrote

When you compare garbage to shit aka the CCP it still smells better KTHXBYE.

−2

SomethingElse521 t1_isph8h1 wrote

Most enlightened western redditor.

Your argument is literally "the thing that was so unpopular and horrific in China that it was violently overthrown is actually way better than the thing they have now that the vast majority of the population likes"

TacoMedic t1_isyt9mm wrote

Yeah the RoC was fucking awful until the '90s and didn't really develop itself into a decent nation until the early '00s. It's now a great nation (from an outside perspective, I've never been), but there's a valid reason as to why the CCP and KMT were at war. If the KMT had been a decent (read: non-corrupt) government, the CCP would have never gained the support that it did and China/South-East Asia may be republics today.

M3SS3NG3R t1_isyxgmf wrote

Well I've been and in fact my father was involved in the movement that eventually led to the RoC of today. For whatever its fault the RoC never billed itself a bully on the international stage. That for me puts it above the CCP already. Feudal dictatorship? Absolutely. Take a good look at Emperor Winnie and tell me that isn't a feudal dictatorship. So really, pot calling kettle black pretty weak illustration on how the CCP of today is any better than the RoC of yesteryears.