Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

titsmcgee8008 t1_ishmadr wrote

I am an Iranian-American woman living in the US. I’ve said this before but I’m going to keep repeating myself.

The best way to support these brave women and men fighting for freedom in Iran is by posting about it on social media. As much as possible.

The overwhelming message I am hearing out of Iran is to keep posting and keep this movement in the conversation. This is the rare case where posting on social media is activism.

The world at large does not care about Iran and as such, the autocratic regime can kill and imprison the citizens with impunity. By keeping the spotlight on what they are doing, it puts pressure on the regime. It's much easier to commit crimes in the dark. Do not let them.

The movement is growing day by day. This is the biggest protest movement in Iran for decades, possibly centuries. This is the first time since the Islamic Republic seized power that there are protests in 31 out of 31 provinces. Students are walking out of school, chanting in the streets, demanding their freedom.

You can help. You can absolutely help. Keep posting. If you want to take it further, contact your congressional representatives or parliamentary members and demand that they speak out.

But literally by sharing these stories on social media, you can embolden these women, help them, and in turn help us all.

PolyDipsoManiac t1_isr0zrk wrote

That’s why they’ve had the internet turned into off for weeks.

TheIndyCity t1_isom98n wrote

I wish it'd get the kind of momentum the Me Too movement did or got picked up by the same folks who propelled that one forward.

TheReluctantOtter t1_isge3u2 wrote

Fucking hell, scum. They're utter scum.

You can hear the heartbreak in the camera woman's voice.

Shadowvines t1_isit72z wrote

They'll even feel righteous afterwards. Religion is a plague.

christhomasburns t1_isk03vc wrote

This is not a religion problem. This is a Power problem.

−14

PlaugeofRage t1_isk4164 wrote

2 things can be true at the same time especially when religion has power.

DankyMcDankface420 t1_iskeeea wrote

Two sides of the same coin.
Frank Wilhoit (not that Frank Wilhoit):

>There is no such thing as liberalism — or progressivism, etc.

>There is only conservatism. No other political philosophy actually exists; by the political analogue of Gresham’s Law, conservatism has driven every other idea out of circulation.

>There might be, and should be, anti-conservatism; but it does not yet exist. What would it be? In order to answer that question, it is necessary and sufficient to characterize conservatism. Fortunately, this can be done very concisely.

>Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit:

>There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

>There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time.

>For millenia, conservatism had no name, because no other model of polity had ever been proposed. “The king can do no wrong.” In practice, this immunity was always extended to the king’s friends, however fungible a group they might have been. Today, we still have the king’s friends even where there is no king (dictator, etc.). Another way to look at this is that the king is a faction, rather than an individual.

>As the core proposition of conservatism is indefensible if stated baldly, it has always been surrounded by an elaborate backwash of pseudophilosophy, amounting over time to millions of pages. All such is axiomatically dishonest and undeserving of serious scrutiny. Today, the accelerating de-education of humanity has reached a point where the market for pseudophilosophy is vanishing; it is, as The Kids Say These Days, tl;dr . All that is left is the core proposition itself — backed up, no longer by misdirection and sophistry, but by violence.

(emphasis mine)
It even tracks with the moral foundations theory: social conservatives have a "diverse" morality where moral values of in-group loyalty, respect for authority, and sanctity/purity compromise 'are valued "equally" to' moral values of fairness, care/harm (to others), and liberty.

Bit-Random t1_iso8g6z wrote

Organized religion is all about concentrating power and money in the hands of the few. So in this context, the two are the same.

ErnestT_bass t1_ishcs4g wrote

And this is the moral Police? Well there you go nothing but a bunch of pervert fucks with a badge huh... Sounds familiar

Smodphan t1_ishktv6 wrote

Religious morality is flexible when convenient

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_ishqpf8 wrote

Both morality police and Law Enforcement Command of Islamic Republic of Iran.

AhAhStayinAnonymous t1_ishx8ck wrote

Conservative commandment #1. Rules for thee but not for me.

Persianx6 t1_ishky22 wrote

Iran's got scandals on scandals these past few weeks.

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_ishq4eh wrote

The Iranian government's true colours are being seen by people all across the world.

There used to be a myth floating around that Iranians supported their government. That cannot be further from the truth.

yukiblanca t1_ishq4ca wrote

I really hope they overthrow *Khamenei while he's still still alive. Fuck him

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_ishrosc wrote

Khomeini is dead. The supreme leader of Iran is Khamenei. But your sentiment still stands!

yukiblanca t1_ishshtl wrote

Crap they are such similar names I didn't even know honestly.

HiHiHiDwayne t1_isj66tc wrote

they should have another revolution honestly to throw the religious zealots out

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_iskejsb wrote

That is their goal. These are no longer simple protests. This is a revolution.

BoredPelikan t1_isiwz7d wrote

AAANNNDDD they just made the whole situation in iran much much worse lmao

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_iskecre wrote

They set the Evin prison on fire last night. Evin prison holds political prisoners, journalists, activists, writers, students and anyone who is against the regime. They keep making it worse.

BoredPelikan t1_ism0ng4 wrote

nope they made it exponentially worse.

they're basically throwing in a bucket of water to a huge grease fire

knowmore1964 t1_isjk1g7 wrote

A video should help stop it. The light in darkness 4 justice. These men destroy their mothers sisters daughters. Horrifying. They should abort these men in the womb.

UponMidnightDreary t1_iskr15k wrote

I’ve been following this emotionally and fully support the revolution. I’ve seen videos and photos. Maybe it’s because I’m female, maybe it’s because I can feel protective of younger women, or maybe it’s just because I’m a fucking human, but NOTHING has made me so viscerally enraged as this video.

Good people CAN NOT watch this being done to others and not find themselves acting, there is a natural response to this. The regime can not survive this. If you are in the US, call your representatives and let them know you support the Revolution. Without engaging in imperialist intervention, there are still ways to support the Iranian people, with internet infrastructure, intelligence, perhaps humanitarian supplies?

Global_Box_7935 t1_isqy6qd wrote

I guess women are walking fleshlights to these people huh? We gotta wrap ourselves up just right so no skin can show, until someone decides to rape us, then it's open season. Rape, torture, kidnap, kill. Rape, torture, kidnap, kill. Rape, torture, kidnap, kill. The morality police have this down to a science. They know just what to do to any woman they feel like, it's what they trained for! It's their life's work to degrade women into animals.

[deleted] t1_isguk2q wrote

[removed]

−57

NervousSorbet t1_isgvzo3 wrote

No one cares if the sexual assault wasn’t graphic enough for you. Most people find it disturbing enough to be considered NSFW.

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_isgv7p3 wrote

I didn't think anyone would like to see that. You can google if you are interested. Also, reddit might have removed the post. This way, that chance is slim.

The_Yarichin_Bitch t1_ish5nl1 wrote

Even the gore subs will not allow for fucking rape, why did this guy get weird there wasn't enough if it in the video??

NervousSorbet t1_isimj0o wrote

Lots of people take lightly (even joy in) sexual assault in other subreddits and in general on Reddit. It’s just not nearly as acceptable in a news subreddit for now.

SingadoPhoenixx t1_isha4gn wrote

Social media fury wont lead to any changes

−71

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_ishap2p wrote

It will raise awareness.

mylastphonecall t1_ishh1aw wrote

they're acting like suppression of information hasn't led to shit like the Armenian genocide, the rape of Nanking, etc being seen as fake by large populations. There's still alot of ppl that think police brutality is an overblown thing, exposure of these things absolutely helps wtf are they on?

tunaricelemonjuice OP t1_ishpliw wrote

I have no idea! All we can do it do our part and try to share accurate information and hope people would see and realize the truth.

SingadoPhoenixx t1_ishxmnc wrote

You ever met a person that didnt know how women in Iran are treated?

Edit: downvotes = point proven.

−33

NervousSorbet t1_ishh4rf wrote

Yet you are here, participating in bringing attention to the issue anyway. Thanks!

SingadoPhoenixx t1_ishxfwf wrote

Everyone is already aware this happens. We (outside of Iran) collectively allow it as nations and societies becuase they got nukes. Im all for the women over there standing up to their oppressors but the social media activism is cheap. Dont post about it, go fight.

−32

NetworkLlama t1_iskj52g wrote

Iran has a nuclear program with some work towards nuclear weapons. They are not known to have nuclear weapons at this point.

Global_Box_7935 t1_isqykj6 wrote

The internet is being shut down in Iran, and they are screaming, begging on their knees for anyone to help. It's up to us to show the world what's going on down there, because all it takes for bad men to win is for good men to do nothing.