Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

titsmcgee8008 t1_ishmadr wrote

I am an Iranian-American woman living in the US. I’ve said this before but I’m going to keep repeating myself.

The best way to support these brave women and men fighting for freedom in Iran is by posting about it on social media. As much as possible.

The overwhelming message I am hearing out of Iran is to keep posting and keep this movement in the conversation. This is the rare case where posting on social media is activism.

The world at large does not care about Iran and as such, the autocratic regime can kill and imprison the citizens with impunity. By keeping the spotlight on what they are doing, it puts pressure on the regime. It's much easier to commit crimes in the dark. Do not let them.

The movement is growing day by day. This is the biggest protest movement in Iran for decades, possibly centuries. This is the first time since the Islamic Republic seized power that there are protests in 31 out of 31 provinces. Students are walking out of school, chanting in the streets, demanding their freedom.

You can help. You can absolutely help. Keep posting. If you want to take it further, contact your congressional representatives or parliamentary members and demand that they speak out.

But literally by sharing these stories on social media, you can embolden these women, help them, and in turn help us all.

PolyDipsoManiac t1_isr0zrk wrote

That’s why they’ve had the internet turned into off for weeks.

TheIndyCity t1_isom98n wrote

I wish it'd get the kind of momentum the Me Too movement did or got picked up by the same folks who propelled that one forward.