Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

theappleogist t1_isn8dor wrote

Fuck Erdogan. Restore the Hagia Sophia as a secular museum.

gender_nihilism t1_isnahq3 wrote

fuck erdogan. stop supporting and also actively committing genocide in the region.

not to be rude, but I feel like that's the thing to mention.

Bisping t1_isndxqb wrote

Kick Turkey out of NATO, i wouldnt mind.

−20

[deleted] OP t1_isnfuze wrote

[removed]

IceColdPorkSoda t1_isnmxwe wrote

Correct. Turkey is a key ally. It’s not like NATO admits new member all the time. Sweden and Finland are important additions to the alliance. Once Ukraine is in, then the rest of nato is free to extract concessions from Turkey whenever the occasion arises.

Edit: I deem it unlikely erdogan survives their currency crisis anyways.

Flashy_Pomegranate23 t1_iso1dwi wrote

I don't think you realize how dumb that sounds. Do some research and see how important they are for NATO.

atomicxblue t1_istgqn3 wrote

I dunno. It's easier to go for a Religious Victory if you have it. Don't knock that extra faith generation per turn.

confusion13 t1_isnjrzl wrote

It was a mosque and turned into a secular museum only in 1935 by a dictator though. Would you also suggest that entire vatican city should be turned into some kind of secular museum?

−49

notlikeyourex t1_isnkh5r wrote

> Would you also suggest that entire vatican city should be turned into some kind of secular museum?

I would 100% support that.

Cthulhu321 t1_isnkjlg wrote

You're comparing apples to oranges, it had been a orthodox Christian church for a long time until the fall of Constantinople. It being turned into a museum was a sort of compromise

confusion13 t1_isnl92n wrote

>until the fall of Constantinople

It converted into a mosque in 1453 and remained as a mosque for five hundreds of years, which I would call a quite long time.

Also it was turned into a museum as part of laicité policies, not as a "compromise" between Christians and Muslims. It's also noteworthy that Muslims accounted for 98.32% of population in 1935.

−19

d01100100 t1_isonvev wrote

> It's also noteworthy that Muslims accounted for 98.32% of population in 1935

It's also noteworthy that Atatürk's reforms stressed secularization.

It's literally codified in the 1924 constitution, and reaffirmed in both the 1961 and 1982 post-Coup revised constitutions.

> The Constitution asserts that Turkey is a secular (2.1) and democratic (2.1) republic (1.1) that derives its sovereignty (6.1) from the people.

It was a cathedral for over a millennia, so if your argument is purely about time, then they both have first dibs and longer duration.

Odd-Employment2517 t1_isnzemz wrote

Ataturk was duly elected as president he was no dictator with an elected parliament giving him his power. They held all positions of power though that was largely because there would've been no Turkey today if not for Ataturks post ww1 campaign freeing Turkey from European occupation

Mimehunter t1_isnwuca wrote

>Would you also suggest that entire vatican city should be turned into some kind of secular museum?

You're asking that on reddit...