Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

My_Homework_Account t1_iu354wz wrote

>A Washington state judge on Wednesday fined Facebook parent company Meta nearly $25 million for repeatedly and intentionally violating campaign finance disclosure law, in what is believed to be the largest campaign finance penalty in U.S. history.

And that was the maximum. Pathetic

0tanod t1_iu4ecg5 wrote

Don't worry it hasn't been appealed down yet. Facebook will spend a little to pay much less.

jschubart t1_iu4n5ro wrote

Bob Ferguson is usually pretty good about pulling through on stuff like this.

eastbayted OP t1_iu2ydl7 wrote

Enjoy the downward spiral, Zuck.

mtarascio t1_iu34i2j wrote

This is literally cost of doing business.

They are probably pleased at the low amount.

The US is stupid in how it regulates through litigation rather than ombudsman enforcement.

eastbayted OP t1_iu36bck wrote

You're right, the amount is relatively trivial.

But I was thinking in the context of the news that Meta's stock is plunging.

jokekiller94 t1_iu59549 wrote

True but they also made $4.4 billion net so they can afford the $25 million fine.

arbivark t1_iubpqt5 wrote

facebook can afford this. but the rest of us can't. this chills speech, and chilled speech ruins elections. i suspect facebook is right that this is unconstitutional.

i was able to get this story posted at electionlawblog.org, so the country's election law experts will see it, so thanks OP for posting it.

jschubart t1_iu4nbo1 wrote

This is just for Washington state. Other states need to take our lead and make similar laws about campaign financing transparency.

cramduck t1_iu5bn8l wrote

$25M less than 0.1% of Meta's 2021 revenue, and less than 0.2% of their 2021 profit.

cloudZZZound t1_iu33qcg wrote

Down down, in an earlier round And sugar we're goin down swingin I'll be your number one with a mullet A loaded god complex, cock and balls in Mark's mouth

−17

MarmotsGoneWild t1_iu4ksx0 wrote

How can the brief amount of time it takes to read such a short comment feel so completely, and utterly wasted? I'm actually impressed.

cremaster_shake t1_iu3p0p9 wrote

You'd need to add at least two more zeroes to make this a punishment and not just a business cost. They make far too much by selling out America for this fine to really cut into their margin.

gwtkof t1_iu47029 wrote

I'm so dumb. I thought like somebody's dad got fined while using Facebook

vmflair t1_iu4wwou wrote

No - the headline here is confusing.

Last_VCR t1_iu4jyg3 wrote

Glad they are saying "facebook parent company" instead of Meta. Bc that name is such an attempt to sterilize the atrocities facebook company has committed

MasterpieceFit6715 t1_iu3i8rd wrote

at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they declared bankruptcy shortly

−2

uis999 t1_iu5x3a6 wrote

You clearly don't understand how much money these companies have. It's less than 2% of their profits from last year.. People seem to think these businesses could roll up by tomorrow if a bad enough news article is published. Facebook could turn out to have been manufacturing sarin gas and they would figure out how to get out of it with a small fine and no admission of wrongdoing. The company is too big and needs to be broken up.