Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Shiromi55 t1_iuviprb wrote

Yet people still buy plastic bags, sad times.

−12

undergirltemmie t1_iuvka6a wrote

Clearly the problem and not the massive amount of corporate waste which puts these plastic bags there for small profit, or the ones who dump waste into the ocean because it's cheaper, or the... Wait I see a trend here!

And it MAY just have to do with everyone following the money, and the common person having fck-all control.

Shiromi55 t1_iuvqjhz wrote

I do work retail and I really hate it when a customer buys one item but still NEEDS a plastic bag. I ask them "do you need a plastic bag" and they're like do I have a choice? Yes you do, don't get a plastic bag!... I'd rather have these plastic bags stay here than in your trash after one use. At least we can delay ordering more.

qret t1_iuw3w3e wrote

Fun fact, in order to be less environmentally damaging than a disposable plastic bag, you have to re-use: a paper bag 4 times, a polypropylene bag 14 times, and a cotton bag 173 times.

Since I already have a bag filled with about 100 disposable plastic bags under my sink, I've started keeping a handful in my car and re-using those. I find I can get 10+ uses out of a disposable plastic bag before it gets serious holes, putting the "break even usage" numbers at 40/140/1730. I'm convinced this is actually the most eco-friendly approach and anyone thinking about buying a new reusable bag should first check if they have any disposable plastic bags lying around, and then ask their friends and family if they do. And when those wear out, ask around again. But people don't do this because buying, owning, and lugging around a fancy reusable bag signals some supposed virtue.

Reduce >>> Reuse >>>> Recycle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Buy some new thing that had to be manufactured for you

hauteteacher t1_iuwau0c wrote

My mom reuses plastic bags. I'd be so embarrassed going into the grocery store and she would bring the plastic bags. And sometimes they'd be from an entirely different store. Now, I just don't care knowing how wasteful we humans can be.

Teresa_Count t1_iuw54zh wrote

> and they're like do I have a choice?

Jesus that's scary. The older I get the more I realize how little critical thought people put into any given scenario.

FWIW I'm not the best about plastic bags but I do save and return them. I know that's not ideal but it's better than throwing them out after one use.

But for fuck's sake, if I buy stuff and can carry it fine with my own two arms, I never get bags.