Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Delicioustoilet t1_ixqiggg wrote

Yikes. I agree that pedos are bad, but can't help but wonder what kind of precedent this sets for future investigations into other branches of crime.

LorenzoStomp t1_ixqmi8g wrote

Entrapment means forcing someone into a position where they have to commit a crime they wouldn't otherwise commit. Like if a cop pretends to be a guy's friend and loans him some money, then puts a bunch of pressure on him to pay it back immediately and hands him some drugs and tells him to sell the drugs to get the money, that's entrapment. But if the cop just says, "Hey wanna make money quick? I'll front you drugs to sell", that isn't. Offering to sell someone a kid isn't entrapment, you'd have to put pressure on someone who isn't a kiddiefucker (idk, uh, "Hey Steve, rape this kid or I'll Civilly Forfet your car"?) to make them do it.

gabbagool3 t1_ixsrm9n wrote

the classic example is when the mark calls the police on the undercover cops doing the sting, and the detective running the sting tells the 911 operators to put the guy on hold indefinitely or orders the beat cops to claim nothing can be done.

ArrowheadDZ t1_ixwz59b wrote

I’d be careful about the term “forcing.” Luring, persuading, seducing someone into an action they were unlikely to have otherwise committed typical falls within the definition of entrapment. In most law, absolutely no force need be applied in order to constitute entrapment.

Hemicrusher t1_ixqksgz wrote

Police have used bait cars, to catch car thieves, since before the internet.

Re-AnImAt0r t1_ixqm7wg wrote

imagine if police start posing as hitmen to catch people hiring hitmen before they can hire someone to really kill someone?

oh wait....

Vault-71 t1_ixrkjez wrote

It likely won't lead to anything significant.

The whole idea behind entrapment is that the accused would not have engaged in the activity without the aid of a law enforcement/government representative.

While advertisements can certainly be convincing to some people, I believe clicking on a CP ad conveys a willingness to engage in the activity without any governmental coercion.

[deleted] t1_iy2cqyo wrote

>I believe clicking on a CP ad conveys a willingness to engage in the activity without any governmental coercion.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of weird shit people click on. Just because I click on r/popping doesn't mean I have a fetish for it. This ruling is dumb and doesn't do anything to solve the underlying issue.

Longjumping_Apple804 t1_ixr6xhh wrote

No different than a bait car used to get carjackers. Not entrapment. If you weren’t planning on stealing a car and then doing so you’d never be in a bait car in the first place.

SnooCats373 t1_ixssz0u wrote

According to my long ago recollection, my criminal law prof said the problem with entrapment defense is you must first admit you committed the crime, then argue your way out of that by blaming the state.

He said that's why so many claim entrapment in front of the press but so few in front of a jury.