Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jollyreaper2112 t1_ixewzum wrote

Not a sport guy but I've had it explained to me you can't be a one man team in soccer as with basketball. Requires a lot more coordination so if you don't do that, it's a lot more telling.

TatteredCarcosa t1_ixgamlr wrote

Christiano could. Well, not really, but no team sport really allows for a one man team. But he was good enough to basically make a team competitive with just him plus average joes (average for top level pro players, not average for global population). He was very very good. But no athlete can avoid losing something with age. He's still good, but he's no longer "put the team on his back and make them a contender" good. He could still be an absolute threat that any team would love to have but he's used to being a God and he still wants to be treated like one.

ThrowbackPie t1_ixg2sms wrote

even in basketball the best players will score 50 on rare occasions. Teams are making 100 points a game, you do absolutely need a team.

01123581321AhFuckIt t1_ixglohj wrote

Of all NBA games played where a team has a player score over 60 points, 25% still resulted in losses for those teams.

ThrowbackPie t1_ixgnsv6 wrote

I'm not sure if this is an argument for or against basketball being a team game.