Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

daddynexxus OP t1_iwu2yfm wrote

Took nearly two years for local news to get ahold the video, insane.

johnhummel t1_iwuj0mo wrote

It’s crazy how long it can take when the police are in the wrong. Had a cop say I “confessed” to a crime and first thing my lawyer asked was for his body cam footage.

We’re still waiting months later and if they don’t deliver soon the case will be dismissed just from statute of limitations expiring. But that’s telling us everything we need to know: when the police have evidence, they show it. When they have excuses, they slow walk it.

daddynexxus OP t1_iwujjdk wrote

Exactly. It's funny how it always works the same way.

CwazyCanuck t1_iwuzkxy wrote

Honestly don’t understand how police can claim anything without evidence. Claim that you said something. Claim that you did something. It’s a conflict of interest. If they don’t require evidence because their word is sufficient, what stops them from lying, and once they have, they have a vested interest in maintaining the lie.

jonathanrdt t1_iwvqmbf wrote

Police are only required to tell the truth in court and affidavits. During the course of an encounter or investigation, they are free to lie. Lying to known criminals is one thing, but they also lie to people they know are not, which seems like an opportunity for reform.

chetchaka t1_iww6qao wrote

Police are free to lie in courts as well, unless there is a specific police officer on trial as the defendant. It might be illegal in theory, but in practice, police get so much protection from police "unions" that they cannot be held accountable for lies they tell in court (again with the exception of a specific officer as the defendant).

I say "unions" because their position of power puts them at odds with every other union in the country. They are not unionized against corporations, they are unionized against citizens. Police "unions" are de facto an arm of the government's will to illegally and violently revoke the rights of the worker class.

Broken_Reality t1_iwvncna wrote

The only thing you should say to cops is "I'm not answering that question"

rbhmmx t1_iwyexzv wrote

Not to my recollection...

Broken_Reality t1_ix45hn8 wrote

Your recollection of what?

The best advice for anyone being asked basically anything by a cop is to tell them you aren't answeing them. You have to actively use your 5th amendment right and state you are using it. If you just say nothing at all then they can use that against you. They can't if you "plead the 5th" or tell them you aren't answering.

Loads of people incriminate themselves when they shouldn't. Any lawyer will tell you to say what I said in response to police questions.

ThellraAK t1_iwv4m9b wrote

Did you waive your speedy trial rights?

johnhummel t1_iwv4uol wrote

I won’t do details but no - they can bring evidence or drop it.

Chad_is_admirable t1_ix9ywtn wrote

SoL doesn't go during discovery so long as you filed suit.

Nor would you have the discovery rights to compel them to deliver the footage without first filing.

I think you are intentionally being misleading.