Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

piTehT_tsuJ t1_j0xzqw4 wrote

What happens when dust storms bury these before we get around to building and launching a return system?

dagbiker t1_j0y0qyt wrote

We send another drone to unburry the rocks, duh.

ElmStreetVictim t1_j0zb22r wrote

We will put the rocks underneath another rock, to shield the dust

[deleted] t1_j0y2bey wrote

[deleted]

−71

xiconic t1_j0y3cik wrote

Or perhaps he is just not as educated on the subject? 8 wouldn't expect the average person to know something like this and it makes sense for him to ask the question to get himself educated on the subject.

p0ultrygeist1 t1_j0ypxcd wrote

I’m not exactly sure where in your comment you’re describing anything but I sure didn’t learn anything from your comment. Maybe if you actually elaborated… but anyways here’s a downvote for complaining about downvotes you absolutely earned

CALsHero09 t1_j0z7haw wrote

>yay, dowvotes, for simply

Being a pretentious twit.

Izawwlgood t1_j0z8sqd wrote

You are correct that the dust storms on Mars are moving less material than dust storms on Earth. That doesn't mean things left on the surface cannot be buried. It's not a bad question, and doesn't deserve your knee jerk shitty attitude.

TheMightyTywin t1_j12jror wrote

How long might it take to be buried? Will they put them in any kind of cover?

Izawwlgood t1_j13nlz8 wrote

Not sure, but for comparison, rovers on Mars often experience failstate conditions when dust covers their solar panels over the course of a few months to a year or so. There have been instances of small twisters rolling past or over a rover and clearing off the panels.

So the deposition is probably not more than a few mm annually, if that, and maybe the material of the sample holders is dust repellant or something, but "being covered by dust" is most certainly something to consider.

_quickdrawmcgraw_ t1_j139uq3 wrote

Gate -keeping Mars atmospheric research... I'm fucking dying laughing at you.