Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jkazama2 t1_j1g5epc wrote

Thanks man. I was going 40 and bring careful and there were no cars in front of me till all of the cars were in front of me including a semi truck. Slammed into the car in front of me and got hit from behind. The airbags didn't go off since it was slow enough I guess but honestly no idea why they didn't

CSI_Tech_Dept t1_j1gaxu6 wrote

Events like that is terrifying to me. It is basically being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You could do everything correctly. Drive safe speed, and even stop on time without accident, but then somebody behind can hit you and you still could end up with injury or even dead.

jkazama2 t1_j1ge2gt wrote

100% I'm counting my blessings for sure tonight

nilogram t1_j1gtmti wrote

Happy you’re ok damn that’s crazy

impy695 t1_j1hyfce wrote

I'm 35 and have never gotten into an accident because I always expect other cars to act in unexpected ways as it (hopefully) allows you to avoid collisions that wouldn't be your fault. That goes all out the window in storms like this. It doesn't matter how careful you are, or how much you pay attention, there is no planning for how fast things can turn sideways and all the ways it can happen.

Fine_With_It_All t1_j1iuxtv wrote

I’m glad you’re a careful driver but you haven’t gotten into an accident because you’ve been lucky. No asshat has run a red light or stop sign with you in the intersection or rear ended you cause they were on their phone …. The list goes on . Count your blessings and stay vigilant though

impy695 t1_j1jpjv7 wrote

It's part luck and part checking intersections before entering them to see if a car is going to stop or not. Getting hit by a car running a stop sign or red light isn't your fault, but it is usually avoidable.

JanitorKarl t1_j1gduun wrote

Glad things weren't worse for you. This storm has been exceptionally bad. Wind, cold, and blowing snow are a deadly mix.

BeastDynastyGamerz t1_j1idvf4 wrote

Airbags should go off no matter how slow you’re going as long as there is enough force to set the sensors off. I’m guessing if you got a hurt neck those sensors should triggered

GoochMasterFlash t1_j1ih6lm wrote

Not true necessarily. Ive hit a deer straight on at 50mph and they didnt go off. Ive also been rear ended by people and had them not go off.

There is a minimum severity needed to make it go off because getting blasted by an airbag sucks and fucks your face up. Im glad it didnt go off when I hit the deer for example, as I would have gotten blasted in the face to protect me from nothing. I assume its not just about force of impact but about how fast the vehicle stops

jkazama2 t1_j1inomv wrote

Yeah I think when it senses enough of an impact force and if the steering column starts to move, then it'll pop off. But yea I've had one go off at 10 mph when I hit a fence, which was surprising