Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j0ip5wl wrote

−12

happy_halloweenie t1_j0iq6m9 wrote

I've been skiing for 30 years and I've never gone off trail. When we want to have riskier fun we hit the jumps and the harder slopes. But I'm not interested in slamming into a tree just to get the fresh snow.

HipHopotamusHurray t1_j0j5gpo wrote

Realistic progression wise, people need to master moguls before going into trees. I personally love tree runs because it keeps you on your toes and there is actual planning involved, similar to navigating moguls

snorlz t1_j0jlna5 wrote

30 yrs and youve never gone off trail? wow, maybe you should try it before you decide you arent interested. Even for an ok skiier its easy to avoid trees unless youre going down expert trees

−2

EbbyRed t1_j0iva7c wrote

I guarantee anyone that has the attitude of the above doesn't have the skill to safely navigate off-trail. Once in a while the attitude above ends up the headline of a news article.

Been skiing 20+ years, there is always a safer and still challenging on-trail option.

Hopeforthebest1986 t1_j0iwx3b wrote

Buddy, there's a whole world of skiers you don't speak for. I don't even consider it a full day's skiing unless I've spent as much time rappelling down cliffs as I have on skis.

I'm not saying that staying "on trail" is lame... I like a nicely groomed piste as much as anyone. But don't go telling other people to do the same thing you like to do.

−18

EbbyRed t1_j0iyc4m wrote

I'm not saying people can't go off trail. I'm saying that people with the attitude of "on-trail is boring for anyone that's skied more than a couple times" are the ones that don't have the skill and end up headlines.

Presumably, if you have rappel gear and know how to use it, you probably have way more safety awareness than the average douchebag that skids down a black thinking that he should search out some powder in the woods.

Hopeforthebest1986 t1_j0iz5ch wrote

"Trees and natural features are the most fun for many people and also where the best snow is"

is absolutely not the same as

"on-trail is boring for anyone that's skied more than a couple times"

Don't put words in people's mouths. Ps, we are all average douchebags, some of us just have more fun while doing it.

−17