Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

code_archeologist t1_j0mg7zq wrote

I am thinking that we may be seeing the initiating events that create a replacement organization for the UN.

SsiSsiSsiSsi t1_j0mgyi6 wrote

That would be very exciting, something born from the modern world rather than peri-WWII anxieties.

I mean the makeup of the Security Council is nuts, it should probably be the US, China, The EU, an SEA rep of some sort, and some sort of pan-African representation as well. Germany the UK and France all having a seat is just archaic, especially given their relative strength in modern terms.

EvangelineOfSky t1_j0n68gm wrote

Ehhh, I'd probably argue the UKs spot still makes sense.. not only are they a nuclear power with a respectable military budget, but they are in a very unique position in the global stage due to how many fairly rich countries share their constitutional head of state

drawkbox t1_j0op38r wrote

China supporting the Ukraine invasion and helped Russia with the coups in Myanmar and Sri Lanka. They should be nowhere in any discussion to be on a security council in their current form.

aister t1_j0nz53t wrote

The UN is doing wat it is meant to do: provide a space for nations to talk, deescalate and provide humanitarian aids. It is not and has never been to keep peace or to deter nations from waging wars. The reason why League of Nations, its predecessor, failed, was exactly becuz they tried to do that. And wat happened in the end? Germany stopped caring and Japan walked out, and nothing was prevented at all.

I mean, the best UN could do is to throw strong words at Russia, anything else like economic sanctions can be done and has been done by nations that want to already. The only thing left is a direct military intervention, which the US will not do anyway.

LeGoupil7 t1_j0n9jnt wrote

I’d say keep the name and stuff but the actual organizational structure definitely needs a radical overhaul on all levels.

drawkbox t1_j0ooydq wrote

Russia and China being on the security council is absurd today. That definitely needs to be changed. China wanted to be Russia's little bro and those that take the Russian deal, well let's just say history hasn't been kind to those that do when they realize it is a leverage play.