Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LacusClyne t1_j1l58mv wrote

> Legally they have to be.

You'd hope so but I'm sure there's something in the legalities where the store has to be operating 'normally', the checkout needs to be turned on or something equally shitty where the employee needs to be acting in accordance to their duties to be classified as 'at work' otherwise they're just 'hanging out at the store'.

Hope they don't have to sue so yeah, we'll see how it goes once everyone is safe and the incident is over.

btmvideos37 t1_j1l6tzr wrote

Actually the complete opposite. This is in Ontario. I’m Canadian. I might not remember all the details but to my knowledge if you’re being forced to stay at work, regardless if you’re working or not, you have to be paid.

Doesn’t matter how the store is running.

In a non snow storm setting, if your boss is telling you to stay in the store but they don’t need you to work, they have to pay you. If they tell you to clock out, they’re breaking the law. Unless they allow you to leave and won’t write you up for doing so.

TazBaz t1_j1n848c wrote

Depends on if they’re being asked to perform any duties. They could be told “you’re off work. Do what you want” and they’re stuck there just like the customers, not being paid. If they’re being asked to help people, that’s kind of a grey area of it not being “store functions” and just being “we’re all community trying to deal with a disaster and you have helpful knowledge/skills for this situation”.

Really depends on what’s going on/how things are being said.

−1