Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Prochnost_Present t1_j1i3z0r wrote

Personally I'm more worried about Ukrainians. Their power will go out many more times and affect tens of millions. For us it is merely an inconvenient moment. Our relatives aren't on the battlefield and we aren't targets of rockets.

This is about the third time Reddit has pushed one of theses stories.

−7

Velveteen_Dream_20 t1_j1iv2nk wrote

I live in America.

Crumbling infrastructure Housing as a spec investment increasingly bought up by private equity firms Widespread homelessness Lower life expectancy than our parents and grandparents Increased risk of death during childbirth Declining birth rate Underfunded education system Higher education so cost prohibitive that many people must take on unprecedented amounts of debt to have a CHANCE at being able to clothe/house/feed oneself The most expensive, least efficient, increasingly harder to access privatized healthcare system that puts profits over people Mass shootings on a regular basis Corporatization of everything including self Toxic individualism Political parties both captured by corporations who dictate policy decisions vs the will of the people Military industrial complex Consumerism Piss poor labor conditions Growing domestic terrorist threats People don’t see a future here

The Ukrainian people are going through hell. Western media is full of pro war propaganda. No one asks why? Why does the United States intervene in other countries issues while ignoring the needs of their own citizens? Do you really believe we’re spreading democracy or are we trying to impose western neoliberal capitalist ideology? Why do we spend so much on defense? What are we defending?

−3

Prochnost_Present t1_j1iz5ff wrote

First, all obvious, and I agree, but most of that doesn't have to do with the power being out. I actually don't understand the need for all of those tangents. I think the first half is just a copy pasta of yours sans-punctuation.

We shouldn't accept any of that being the way it is, but we also have a lot to be grateful for. It is insane how many hundred of millions of people can't drink the water out of the faucet or the municipal sewers are so cheap they can't flush their used toilet paper and have to keep it piled up in a bin in the bathroom. They actually have to live with their shit piling up. Or every hospital lobby you visit absolutely reeks of urine for some unknown reason. I lived in a modern city in China more populous than New York City and when there was shit and piss in the streets and no one batted an eye.

Second, most of the time in America we can fix these issues within a day or two. Re-erect a pole or powerline, replace something we have ready replacement parts for, etc. I've lived in America with the power out for 2-3 days and it is barely a memorable experience. It was just inconvenient. Throw a hoodie on and find something else to do.