Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j1i4x0k wrote

> I’m not sure where you heard this, but it is terrible advice to start a fire inside your car.

Holy shit, yeah, not a great idea. If you run out of gas and the batteries dead with zero ability to restart it, maybe? I guess if you have candles/one of those little stovetop things. Even then it's a huge risk, and living in an area like that you should have hella blankets/spare jackets prepared for weather like this. I don't live anywhere that gets severe weather and still stock up for seasons just in case.

Were they talking about a stovetop/candle, or just literally lighting random shit on fire in your car? Sounds like a great way to die from the toxic plastic fumes and such quickly at least.

deletable666 t1_j1iglk3 wrote

They were talking about lighting a small candle. That just does not put out a meaningful amount of heat compared to the risk of knocking it over and setting the interior of your vehicle on fire, especially if you will be sleeping. Every year people die trying to keep warm in emergency situations or non emergency situations.

To be safe, eat food before you go out on the road, bring calorie dense snacks, and bring way more warm clothes than you’d think you’d need along with whatever other gear you need!