Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jodelfreak t1_j64v79z wrote

Is there any discovery, finding, revolutionary whatever happeing w/o the famous, one and only, Mr. Egypt himself "Zahi Hawass” is somehow engaged? Its almost suspicious, like I am expecting that all these sensational things discovered one day will be disclosed to all be a made up scam. Not saying they are, but it just feels shady that whenever there is a report, documentary, news article about historic Egyptian findings, this one name "Zahi Hawass” pop up. Its like one and only one director wins all Oscars over the course of 10 years. I mean …. how?

palcatraz t1_j656qf9 wrote

He is known to have a very domineering personality, and has previously held high positions in both the Supreme Council of Antiquities and then created Ministry of Antiquities. He's involved in everything in part because everything has had to go through him (or through the very small group he was a part of)

The things he has discovered or worked on are not fake. However, it is extremely hard for other people to independently publish or research things without his involvement. There has been criticism of this, though at the same time, others have said that his way of handling things has pushed for higher levels of quality VS what used to be there.

isisishtar t1_j6jh386 wrote

But he always wears an Indiana Jones hat, so he must be a good guy, right? /s

AstarteOfCaelius t1_j65zy6t wrote

I dunno, Martinez seems to be- and Hawass is fairly ate up about it, if certain rumors are true.