Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PuraVida3 t1_j618bg3 wrote

No, it isn't. Care must be taken to not overlook anything that will leave room for doubt. Understand that it is the job of the defense to sow any doubt. A jury can be dissuaded.

sweetplantveal t1_j619red wrote

Five years and change for someone caught in the act is NOT slow in your opinion. Gotcha.

HugeFinish t1_j61h0oy wrote

I mean do you think the person was free and still running people over until the sentencing?

[deleted] t1_j62fae6 wrote

[removed]

WTF_goes_here t1_j62h38l wrote

He waved his 6th early on. Defense attorneys ask their clients to do this regularly.

klipseracer t1_j62xzqf wrote

Since I'm ignorant can you explain why?

melthevag t1_j63bgdb wrote

It gives them more time to prepare for a trial

jusmellow t1_j657fzc wrote

If your life is on the line you want your attorneys to be prepared. You can waive your right to a speedy trial.

Cicero912 t1_j639p9y wrote

You only have the right to a speedy trial if you dont waive it, which is very common especially in big cases.

Crixxa t1_j64cwgs wrote

That is an unusually long wait for a criminal case. Civil cases often drag out for years but criminal trials don't typically make it half that long without delays sought by the defendant.

When I worked as an ADA, the longest trial that dragged out while I was there took 3 years and mainly because the defendant knew he was going to have a very bad time in prison and we had enough evidence that no jury would fail to convict him. So he was constantly trying to find creative ways to cause delays.