Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

guzhogi t1_j5z5mjm wrote

I agree. I’ve seen articles on Facebook (not sure how accurate) about how some cities have implemented a social work or something program where instead of sending armed police to people in distress situations, they send social workers or people trained to deal with people with autism, schizophrenia, etc. if I remember correctly, they had some success with it. I might be getting the details wrong, but I’d love to see current reports of those kinds of practices, who successful they are, and what difficulties they have with such programs.

A while ago, I saw this really interesting documentary, “Paper Tigers”, about an alternative high school where instead of suspending kids, the staff tries to reach out and treat the underlying causes. It delves into “Adverse Childhood Experiences” or ACEs, like parents divorcing, death of family and friends, drug use (either themselves or family/friends), assault/abuse, family getting arrested, etc. I guess the more ACEs you have, the more “fight or flight” mode you’ll be in. But having even a single stable, supportive adult around can help a lot with that. Kinda heavy, but an interesting and important watch. Also available through Apple