Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

3v3ryt1m3 t1_j3k1wff wrote

If I changed nothing, I would be part of this statistic. Instead, I found recovery cuz some other drunks carried a message that I could be sober and my life would get better. Thanks to AA, stopdrinking sub, SMART recovery, years of intensive therapy, and the gift of desperation caused by organ failure, I will celebrate 10 years clean and sober tomorrow.

If you drink heavily, you feel that life is pointless, nothing good will ever happen for you, and that you lost the ability to control and enjoy your drinking, I was once in your shoes. The hardest thing I ever did was ask for help, but I believe in you. We can recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

Tobiko_kitty t1_j3k7xxr wrote

I too would have been one of these statistics almost 11 years ago. Depression, disability, and a generally sucky life led to full-time drinking and I couldn't stop for more than a couple of hours without getting violently ill. I was placed in a skilled nursing facility to live out my last 30 days in as much comfort as possible. While in withdrawal delirium, I tripped and fell and shattered my leg. I ended up staying 3 1/2 months. After going through that, the last thing I wanted to do was drink again. My liver wouldn't take it again. I attended AA for a year and realized how fortunate I was to have the day-to-day fight to stop taken out of my hands. I was also very fortunate to have the support of my parents through the whole thing.

weedful_things t1_j3lmuol wrote

r/stopdrinking helped me a lot when I decided to stop drinking.

lethargicbureaucrat t1_j3mcgiw wrote

Same here. AA wasn't for me, but r/stopdrinking was a huge help for me. Good people there.

whatsnewpussykat t1_j3kile5 wrote

That’s fucking rad! Congrats on your sobriety! Let’s keep trudging the road of happy destiny ❤️